This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IUP chapter.

As a senior currently in college with only 75 days until graduation; I am feeling a ton of emotions. I recently accepted the fact that I am at a very confused place in my life right now, although I appreciate it. Real life is about to hit; no more waking up for class every morning and deciding if I want to go or just stay in bed for the day. If you are a senior yourself and you have been experiencing mixed emotions, just know that it is normal. I am going to first speak on the things that I wish I would have done differently/sooner throughout my four years here in college.

1. Take more than 12 credits a semester (that is only the minimum)

My freshman year, nobody told me that I should be taking more than 12 credits. Of course it isn’t necessary, but it is highly suggested. I am not sure how I am getting out of here in the four year time span, (God’s plan) but luckily enough I am. I was taking my freshman year very lightly by only taking the minimum amount of credits. It is better to take more credits early on in your college life, so that as a senior with all 400 level classes you are not driving yourself crazy.

2. Join organizations/get involved around campus

It was not until my junior year here at IUP that I decided it was time for me to get involved at my university. Freshman year all I was doing was attending my classes (and going to parties). Unless you are on a full scholarship, do you know how much money you are spending to be in college? Make every penny worth it. Once I got involved with organizations, not only did I begin connecting with other individuals, but I can say that my life changed. I began to find out the things that I enjoyed doing and I was able to learn more about myself. I was given leadership roles that employers want to see on resumes. So, not only is it beneficial for your college life, but it will definitely have an impact on your future as well. Another tip: if no organizations catch your interest, create your own. I wanted to start my own mentoring program; I did my research, connected with the local YMCA and guess what? I am the president of a mentoring program here on my campus. I was also able to bring it back to my hometown at that YMCA as well. Use your resources and the people that are around you! Somebody once told me, “it’s not who you know, it’s what they know about you.”

3. Strive for the Dean’s List every semester

I never cared for the Dean’s List. As terrible as that sounds, it just never crossed my mind. I did not see the importance at the time, of stressing myself out to reach Dean’s List. Let me tell you. When I first got on the Dean’s List I was extremely proud of myself. But also seeing how proud your parents are of that accomplishment, adds to the feeling as well. Set high expectations for yourself. You don’t have to stress yourself out (college is already stressful enough), but honestly try your hardest and do above the minimum. You will see all of the benefits that come along with it.

4. Use the resources around you

I promise you, more than half of the students here are not aware of the resources that are available to us. Not only that are available to us, but free to us because the fees we pay along with our tuition cover it. For example, students here at IUP are able to get FREE Microsoft software on their laptops. Meanwhile, there are still some students paying for a Microsoft subscription. Another big area, your professors are your friends. I will admit that I did not start using my professors’ office hours until my senior year in college, but I wish I was doing this three years ago. Your professors want to see their students succeed. We all know some pretty bad professors, but what are they getting out of their students failing? Nothing. If you are confused on an assignment, go and get more clarification. If you missed an assignment; go explain yourself, you never know what can come out of that conversation. He/she may let you submit it late, or they may not. But you miss 100% of the shots that you don’t take. You are not losing out on anything by simply speaking or e-mailing a teacher.

5. Create opportunities for yourself

As this somewhat goes along the lines of being involved, joining organizations and using the resources around; I still felt the need to cover it. My university is five hours from home and in the middle of nowhere. I am a city girl; my top universities I wanted to attend were University of Pittsburgh, St. Johns in NYC, and Florida State. I was accepted into all three, but for some reason IUP was calling my name. So here I am now; currently finishing up my college years in Indiana, Pennsylvania. My second semester of freshman year, I was trying to transfer. Family and friends would ask me why and my response would be, “there are no opportunities here.” There will always be opportunities in any location of this world that you are in. And if they aren’t right there in your face, you must create them. I stopped complaining, stopped trying to transfer, and created opportunities for myself. You must first accept the fact that you are on your own. Nobody is going to do it for you; create the life that you want to live. If you are not in college networking, you are wasting your time and money!

(Photo by Baim Hanif on Unsplash)

Graduated from Indiana University of Pennsylvania with a B.S in Child Development and Family Relations in May 2018. I have a passion for working with the youth, making a difference in the community, and having a positive impact on individual's lives. "A good woman, trying to be a better woman, while inspiring and helping the next woman."