5 Tips for Apartment Hunting

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IUP chapter.

It’s that lovely time of year again when everyone seems to be looking for apartments for next Fall. If you’re like me, you probably find this experience to be extremely overwhelming. Finding the perfect apartment doesn’t have to be such a headache though! Here are 5 tips to help you navigate your apartment search.

1. Set a budget.

Having a budget for what you want to spend overall will help you narrow your search and ensure that you aren’t constantly worrying about money next year.

2. Decide who to live with.

There is always the option to live alone, but it is typically less expensive if you have roommates. It’s important to choose your roommates carefully because they will impact how your semester goes.

3. Write everything down.

One of the hardest parts about finding the perfect apartment is all the information. If you’re calling two or three landlords a day, you’re never going to remember what each of them said. Jot down quick notes while on the phone.

4. Tour the apartment.

This may seem like a no brainer, but never fully trust an online virtual tour. Just because you think you’ll love the place doesn’t mean it will feel like home.

5. Talk to current tenants.

If possible, talk to people who rent from that landlord now and get their honest opinion about what they liked and disliked. If they love the place, but hate the landlord that may be a red flag.

Apartment hunting can be stressful, but it can also be so much fun. Don’t be afraid to explore your options and visit multiple places. This is the place you’ll live for the next year and a little extra effort can go a long way! Happy hunting!

All gifs courtesy of giphy.com

Danielle Jones is from Jeannette, Pennsylvania--a small town with big pride. As an English, Writing major with a minor is Business Administration she loves words and truly believes in their power. She is currently one of two Campus Correspondents for Her Campus at IUP. In her free time, Danielle enjoys reading, writing, and all things Shonda Rhimes.