Stop Procrastination Before It’s Too Late

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IU chapter.

With spring semester in full swing, and spring break right around the corner, it’s becoming easier to lose track of why we’re REALLY here at IU (an education, of course). It’s easier focus more on more interesting things, such as planning how we are going to decorate our future homes via Pinterest.  The fact that it’s becoming easier to procrastinate also means that you may be in for an unpleasant surprise as midterms begin to sneak up on you. So, with that, HCIU presents this handy little guide on how to keep track of what’s important. Now you’ll be able to get your schoolwork done, and still have time for fun.

1) Disconnect yourself from technology. You’d be shocked at how much more you can get done in a short amount of time if you stray away from your computer and cell phone for just an hour or two. Think about it this way… you’ll finish your work faster, so you can go back to Facebook stalking faster. It’s a win-win!

2) Make cramming a thing of the past. I don’t know about you, but we’ve learned the hard way that cramming for an exam doesn’t work. Cramming not only imposes upon sleep (which is essential the night before a test), but it also can send you into a tizzy when you realize you know nothing about the material you’re going to be tested on. Make it a habit to ensure that you understand the material before it’s too late. Review your notes after class, stay updated on your readings, and an effort to attend office hours if you’re having trouble. This way, you’ll get the most bang out of your tuition buck and actually learn something.

3) Show up to class. They say that 90% of life is just showing up. Nothing can be closer to the truth. This doesn’t mean that you should show up and proceed to text for the duration of the lecture. You’re only in the class for a couple of hours per week, might as well make the most of it by being active and taking notes. Also, a lot of professors say things during lecture that aren’t in the book, and more than likely that information will be on the test.  

4) Reward yourself. If you worked hard for an entire week and by Thursday night your planner is looking relatively blank, go ahead and celebrate! After all, isn’t it so much sweeter to go out when you know you’ve accomplished something instead of worrying about the things you still have left to do?

5) Find a set spot where you get the most amount of work done. It doesn’t matter if this spot is in your apartment, a dorm lounge, your sorority house, or even the stacks at Wells. If you find that your productivity level increases tenfold when you sit down at this spot, then stay there. Make sure that this particular spot is used for academic purposes and academic purposes only. For maximum productivity, you’ll want quiet, lack of distraction, and good lighting.

6) Never lose sight of your ultimate goal. Remember above all else that you are a college student and you’re here to get an education in order to enhance your knowledge while acquiring the tools you need to be successful. We all wish we could major in Facebook with a minor in Twitter and partying, but these skills probably translate as well into the real world. Study hard now, and you’ll definitely be reaping in the benefits later. That little piece of paper certifying your education at IU will be worth it.

Courtney Kabbes is a junior at Indiana University. She is majoring in journalism with a concentration in apparel merchandising. When she's not busy updating Her Campus IU and promoting their site, she works as the Vice President of Social Media for the Retail Studies Organization and Ed2010 at Indiana. Some of her favorite things include shopping, mint chocolate chip ice cream, New York City, Bikram yoga, and spending time with her two favorite people: her mother and sister. Did we forget to mention her slight obsession with Pinterest? www.pinterest.com/ckabbes