World Water Week 2012

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ithaca chapter.

Think Before You Drink is the name of the game for IC’s Take Back the Tap and World Water Week Campaign.

Working with other environmental groups on campus, such as REMP and Frack Off, Take Back the Tap took over the Park Lobby advocating the importance of water. “People do not know that most bottle water is just repackaged tap water,” says Vice President Leonard Slutsky. Through several taste test done campus Take Back the Tap result show that majority of the IC community had chosen Tap water as the best tasting among the other choices of Aquafina and Poland Spring.

World Water Week in its entirety was a successful week increasing advocacy and awareness across campus. “I think it went really well, we had a lot of people there, and they seemed interested. Hopefully this first major awareness event will spark more interest for now, and for years to come,” says Leonard.   

Also, many people do not know that the entire process of making and distributing the plastic bottle does more harm than good. “Well, just the whole process of shipping the water bottles across the country emits carbon and then that plastic bottle is often thrown away,” says Leonard. Though recycling is important, the best bet is still to use a reusable water bottle. Not only does it save you money, but it also reduces your carbon footprint and can be more fashionable.

Take Back the Tap is now selling their water pouches for $5 each. These convenient little containers are easily compactable and come with a carabineer to clip onto your backpack or belt. Don’t be fooled by their appearance, they may look small but they hold just as much as one plastic water bottle. When you are done you can just roll it up and place it right in your pocket.

The success of their first event, the screening of the award-winning documentary FLOW: For Love of Water increased the amount of recognition the club received on campus. “I think it went really well, we had a lot of people there, and they seemed interested. Hopefully this first major awareness event will spark more interest for now, and for years to come,” says Leonard.

With such a young e-board and four years ahead, Take Back the Tap has some big goals set in mind. “We want to expand our reach and support base, install new water filling stations, and building connections with other student organizations. As for a long-term goal we eventually hope to phase out plastic water bottles on campus,” explains Leonard.

Things look promising for Take Back the Tap, with their drive, passion, and resources this organization is one to watch on campus.

Tessa Crisman is a sophomore (class of 2014) at Ithaca College, where she is studying as a sociology major with Spanish, environmental studies, and Latin American studies minors. Tessa is a Spanish and Arabic tutor for Ithaca College's Academic Enrichment Services, as well as a resident assistant for Residential Life. She is also an active member of IC Intercambios, which allows her to visit local farms to teach English to migrant workers, and of the Committee for Inclusive Education, a group promoting ethnic studies programs at Ithaca College and beyond. When she's not writing papers or handing out noise violations, Tessa enjoys knitting socks, going to the farmer's market, and dancing like there's no tomorrow. She plans to pursue a career in sustainable agriculture and food justice advocacy.