Nickie Griesemer, IC Unites for HER

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ithaca chapter.

Nickie Griesemer (right)

Year: Senior

Major: Physical Therapy

Hometown: West Chester, Pennsylvania

Her Campus Ithaca College: Can you tell us a little about Ithaca College Unites for HER?

Nickie Griesemer: Ithaca College Unites For HER is part of an organization based in the Philadelphia area that strives to bridge the gap between the medical and wellness communities by funding and delivering complementary therapies that support the physical and emotional needs of those with breast cancer during treatment and beyond. These therapies include acupuncture, yoga, massage therapy, and nutrition counseling among many others. They also educate their community about the role of healthy lifestyle choices in the prevention of disease and the promotion of wellness.

Our club works with the varsity sports teams on campus to raise money to provide women and men in the Ithaca College community diagnosed with breast cancer these complimentary therapies. Each team dedicates one of their games to this organization and we run fundraising events while they play. All of the athletes also wear pink during this game to show they are all uniting for this incredible cause!

HCIC: What have you found to be most rewarding about your experience with this organization?

NG: I have been a part of the original organization, Unite For HER (UFH), since 2009 when it was founded and it has helped so many people in my hometown. What is so unique about this organization is that it focuses on the individual while they are going through treatment for the cancer (chemo, radiation, etc.). Most breast cancer organizations raise money to research how to prevent cancer, which is very important, but the money we raise goes directly to a person with breast cancer to help them feel as best they can after or while they are going through life-changing treatment. Many of these complimentary therapies are not covered by insurance so Unite for HER is able to provide the treatments through grants that are raised from various events held throughout the year. Unite For HER is extremely successful in my community at home and it is rewarding to hear the stories of so many people who have benefited from the therapies this organization provides. Ithaca College Unites For HER is new on campus this year, but we have already raised over $2,000 which is incredible! For every $1,000 we raise, we are able to provide a grant to one individual so we are well on our way to impacting as many lives as we can in our community.

HCIC: How much planning and behind-the-scenes work normally goes into a fundraising event?

NG: For each event we need to make sure all of the fundraising goes smoothly and there is a lot that goes into making sure this happens. At a typical game, we sell IC Unite For HER t shirts, raffle baskets that the club and the sports team put together, baked goods, and various UFH items such as bracelets and lanyards. So the shirts have to be counted many times to keep track of how many we sell, raffle baskets need to be put together by the team prior to their event, and the baked goods need to be made with the Culinary Club on campus. At the actual event, we have to be there an hour or so early to set up the tables and decorate the area with a whole bunch of pink ribbons and streamers. It can be a lot of work, but it is definitely worth it and the club members are super helpful with setting everything up!

HCIC: What’s the best way for someone to get involved?

NG: We are looking for more members!!! If anyone wants to be on the email list to be updated on upcoming meetings and events please email icunitesforher@gmail.com Also to see more about what the organization is about, visit https://uniteforher.org and to see more about what we do on campus, like our Facebook page Ithaca College Unites For HER. Our next pink game is going to be December 2nd- 4th for the Men’s and Women’s Swimming and Diving team so if you aren’t sure if you want to join but you want to see what we are about, please come to the A&E center and stop by our Unite For HER table! Also, support your fellow Bombers!

Joanna is a senior Applied Psychology major at Ithaca College from Rochester, NY.