How Does Philanthropy Impact College Students?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ithaca chapter.

No it’s not a disease, or new dance craze; philanthropy is the idea of giving back to the community, either through money or good deeds. Ithaca College is the epitome of philanthropy because most of our buildings and facilities are made possible by donations from alumni. On February 28, 2013, Students Today, Alumni Tomorrow (STAT) and the IC Office of Alumni Relations is participating in the first ever National Student Engagement and Philanthropy Day, hosted by CASE ASAP. There will be over 100 Student Alumni Organizations from across the country participating. STAT’s event is called “Get the Scoop on Philanthropy Day”. At the event we will be writing thank-you cards to donors who have given to the college, and there will be free ice cream for anyone who writes one. We will have “celebrity scoopers,” including President Rochon! Two of our a capella groups, Ithacapella and VoiceStream, will be performing during the lunch hour (this is my favorite part!). But why are we holding this event and why is it so important to thank alumni for their contributions?

Students Today, Alumni Tomorrow was formed to further promote student involvement in the Ithaca College community by building traditions, seeking links between students and alumni, and encouraging pride and spirit within the Ithaca College family. The organization is involved in Alumni Weekend, as well as Spirit Week. STAT also goes to district and national conferences to consult with other student alumni groups about the work they do at their schools. By participating in these events, STAT is constantly networking with alumni and other students. At Ithaca College, networking is engraved into our minds. Making connections with alumni can lead to jobs, internships and lifelong friendships. Alumni are important to every college student’s career because they give immense donations to the college. Ithaca College’s Annual Fund supports everything that we do at the college, and most students do not understand how IC is run. STAT’s mission is to educate students about philanthropy and why it is beneficial to our education.

The way that I think about philanthropy is the “Pay it Forward” effect. Alumni are going to give to the college, so in return students are going to thank them for their contributions. Then, when the students graduate, they are going to give to the college and the cycle continues. Our Philanthropy Day will hopefully create awareness, connect alumni to students, and continue to spread IC Spirit throughout the year!

I am a sophomore at Ithaca College studying, Communication Management and Design. I am a senator in Student Government, a member of the IC Spirit Week Committee and VP of Communications for Students Today, Alumni Tomorrow. I am looking to pursue a career in Event Planning, but in the meantime, I am a passionate traveler and fashionista.
Hi HC readers!! My name is Carly and I am the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Ithaca College. I am currently majoring in Integrated Marketing Communications and minoring in Communication Management and Design and the Honors Program.  When I am not focusing on my studies or Her Campus, I enjoy singing, shopping, and watching reality television shows. I love writing and I am glad I am able to express my thoughts through Her Campus Ithaca. If you go to Ithaca and would love to get involved in writing for or promoting HCIC, send me an email at carlyschneer@hercampus.com. Keep Calm and Read On!