SPORTS: What Every Guy Wishes Girls Knew About Football

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

Fall semester has commenced, and the main topic in most guys’ minds is the NFL and NCAA football. Everyone has had a class where a group of guys sit behind you and cannot stop expressing their excitement for this week’s game and who is on their fantasy football team. To most of us, we would much rather be seen pinning the latest trends on Pinterest or gossiping about last night’s episode of “New Girl.”

But how do we get the guys attention and show him that we really do know what’s going on during a football game? You have the looks and charm that every guy is looking for, but to make yourself the perfect candidate you need to know the rules of every guy’s favorite game.

Let us break it down for you:

1. Every football game has four quarters that are each 15 minutes long. No wonder he isn’t texting you back for hours on end when he says he watching the game with the guys. On average, a game lasts about three hours.

2. There are 11 players from each team on the field at one time. One team is on offense and the other is on defense. The guys who are down in the “football stance” are considered players who “play on the line.”

3. The football field consists of 100 yards. Each team on offense has four attempts to go 10 yards. Whenever a team reaches a first down, remember that means the football has moved ten yards, the crowd will be screaming and shouting because this is a great thing. If you begin yelling with them, your guy will instantly be impressed.

4. The quarterback is a very important position for any team because he is in charge of taking care of the ball. He must find one of his teammates to pass to without having some big defensive lineman tackle him. When the quarterback gets tackled, it’s called a sack. Sacks are not good when your team is on offense, but they’re great if your team is on defense.

5. A touchdown is worth six points with the potential to add an extra point if the team kicks a field goal or two extra points if they decide to run or throw it into the end zone. A field goal is when a kicker comes on the field and tries nailing the football through the uprights.

Try watching a quarter of a game to start having a better understanding of football. Once you know these basic rules, all of his friends will invite you to watch the game with them while they grill and plaster their eyes to the TV. Your guy will quickly realize how into sports you are once you start cheering and booing the refs with them.