Day to Night Makeup Using the Urban Decay Naked Eyeshadow Palette

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

I don’t know about you guys, but if there’s one thing I hate, it’s getting ready to go out. If it were up to me, I’d probably wear my basic attire of leggings and a sweatshirt, leave my hair in a messy bun and makeup as is, but considering that’s not exactly socially acceptable, I’ve had to find other ways to accommodate my laziness. The easiest way I’ve found to do this is by enhancing what I already have on and turning it into a more nighttime appropriate look. It’s just as simple as taking my makeup from day to night. 

Now if you don’t already own the Urban Decay Naked palette, (A) what are you doing with your life? and (B) please do yourself a favor and invest in one immediately. It is literally the perfect eyeshadow palette because it not only contains everything you could ever possibly want or need in terms of eye shadow, but is great for day to night looks because it has the matte neutral shades for during the day and all the fun, dark shimmery ones for night.

Day to night makeup is all about building upon the base you’ve already created, which in this case is your daytime makeup. Daytime makeup should be about being light and neutral. The first step is to highlight the brow bone using the color “virgin.” This is important because it gives the illusion of lifting the brow by drawing light to that area. Then put “naked” all over the lids and blend the two together using a clean blending brush. Using the same brush, put “buck” through the crease using a back and fourth motion and add liner. Tip: use a dark shade like “darkhorse” as eyeliner for a look that’s less harsh than pencil, liquid or gel. Finally, just add some mascara and pop some of the highlight color onto the inner corner of the eye and you’re done. Tip: to ensure your eye makeup will withstand the day and handle the night, prime the lids first which will keep the eye shadow from creasing, falling or fading throughout the day.

For the nighttime look, the main thing is to really just darken up the eye shadow, which is easily done by focusing on the outer V of the eye. Taking one of the darker shades like “smog” or “darkhorse,” all you have to do is pop the shadow onto the outer part of your eyelid in a sort of V motion and you’re good to go. Tip: go over that color with just a tad bit of “creep” for an even darker, smokier look. Now all you have to do is blend that in using a clean blending brush, add some liner, more mascara and eye shadow under the lower lashes and you’re good to go with the perfect nighttime eye. 

Friendly reminder: the key to day to night makeup is all about building upon what you’ve already wearing and working your way from light to dark. That’s all there is to it. There aren’t certain colors or palettes you need to use or any set rules to follow. Play around and find what works best for you because makeup is all based on personal preference.

Photo sources:

http://www.makeuptalk.com/f/topic/115900-counterfeit-urban-decay/

The official page for the University of Illinois Her Campus chapter.