Campus Celebrity: Peter Zervakis

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

Peter Zervakis, a senior in Media, knows what it means to work hard.

A health enthusiast, Zervakis writes for The Daily Illini as their wellness columnist. Every week, he writes a column and spreads his vast knowledge of health and wellness to the rest of the student body.

He has also held several impressive internships at television stations in Champaign, New York and Chicago. After covering important events like Michael Jackson’s death and the Blagojevich Trial, Zervakis knows what it takes to succeed in broadcast. I was able to sit down with him to learn more about his interests and experiences.

HC: How did you become interested in health?
I was a soccer player in high school, so I always managed to keep pretty fit just by practicing and staying active. I played a lot of pickup basketball games and football too, but then my senior year I started going down to the weight room during gym and class and working out that way as opposed to playing in one of the intramural sports. I got pretty close with our school’s football coach, who was the weight room supervisor, and he kind of showed me the ropes about lifting, eating healthy, eating to gain muscle, etc. I slowly started cleaning up my eating habits and got into running, and by that summer I was doing twice-a-days at the gym. The rest is history. I was hooked.

HC: How did you get started at the Daily Illini? How did you become a columnist?
I did some freelance work on high school sports for the News-Gazette during the fall of my sophomore year and then decided to apply at The Daily Illini for spring semester. I was the baseball reporter that year and then the next fall, I stayed on the sports desk and wrote the football column. So that made it easier to sell myself when I pitched the idea of a weekly health and fitness column.

HC: Where do you get your inspiration for your columns?
Honestly everywhere. I know that sounds vague and broad, but some come from personal experiences I’ve had at the gym, others are student suggestions, a few have been suggestions from my wonderful editor. Basically, I just try to put myself into the position of someone who is not a hardcore fitness enthusiast and wonder, ‘even if I wasn’t big into working out, what kind of health-related stuff would I still like to learn about?’

HC: What internships have you had? What did you do?
The summer after my sophomore year, I worked at WCBS-TV in Manhattan — mostly writing content for the website. They actually gave me my own health and fitness blog, which was pretty cool. Then the following spring, I worked as a news intern at WCIA-TV here in Champaign, which was kind of a jack-of-all-trades-type gig. Last summer, I was at ABC-7 Chicago, where I interned under general assignment reporter Paul Meincke. I learned a ton from him. He’s a great guy.

HC: What was it like covering the Blagojevich trial?
It was definitely unlike anything else I’ve done in journalism. Some days were pretty quiet and monotonous, with the trial procedure hearings and all that, but the first few days and then the day when he announced he wouldn’t testify were absolutely insane. You couldn’t even move in the media pit around him because there must have been over 100 people from the press there.

HC: What other interests do you have besides journalism and health?
I’m interested in pretty much anything having to do with Greek history, as my family is of Greek origin. I’m absolutely inspired by Alexander the Great, who I think is the greatest Greek historical figure of all time. I also love college football and English Premier League soccer. Other than that, I just enjoy hanging out with my best friends and soaking up my last semester of college. I’ll definitely miss Joe’s and Red Lion when I’m gone.

HC: What do you hope to pursue after college?
At the moment, it’s up in the air, but I’m hoping to work as a TV reporter somewhere. We’ll see how that pans out.

HC: What’s one thing about you that might surprise people?
I probably have the goofiest, widest-range of taste in movies imaginable. I love the stupid-funny comedies, like Van Wilder, but then I’ve seen Love Actually and The Notebook like 10 times apiece. I also got coerced into seeing The Last Song last year — but that was a lapse in judgment on my part — and I still get choked up when I watch Gladiator or The Pursuit of Happiness. Will Smith is one of my all-time favorite actors.

I am a junior studying News-Editorial Journalism at the University of Illinois. When I'm not writing and editing for HC Illinois, I work as the Features Editor of the Daily Illini. I am also the vice president of the Society of Professional Journalists on the UI campus as well as the computer chair for the Iota chapter of Delta Gamma. Writing is my passion and I hope to one day move to New York City and work for a magazine, writing feature stories and investigative pieces. I love HC Illinois because I have so much fun writing stories for collegiettes™and reading stories by my amazing peers.