This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

The time of boots, BOO’s, and everything pumpkin has finally arrived and fashionistas all around (myself included) are welcoming this season with wide open closets. Ahh, fall…we have missed you so. I am almost positive that I am not alone in the overwhelmingly excited-ness to unleash all of my fall inspired garments that have kept the back of my closet company during these past summer months. HOLLA, sweater weather! However, with every new season comes new and fashion savvy styles to try. As you begin digging out all of those wonderful over-sized sweaters, leg warmers and chunky scarves take a peek at what is forecasted to be HOT during this chilly fall season.

Over-sized Coats

Comfy couture? I think yes. Sweaters now-a-days are not the only ones becoming bigger and better. Look chic and relaxed in an over-sized coat that completes any windy weather outfit. Over-sized coats in bright hues of purple, burgundy and the classy camel color, complete with black leather sleeves, seem to have popped up on the runway and in various “street style” articles lately. Pair with dark-wash skinnies or leather leggings, your favorite booties and a layered sweater (try to avoid too much bulk). Before you know it, you’re ready to embrace that chilly walk to class!                                                                                                                      

Olive + Aztec

I have always wanted to find a hue of green that would be fashion acceptable in everyday wear… without looking like the newest addition to the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. My saving grace… OLIVE! Although not a fan of the edible version, I am obsessed with the wearable edition and I am not the only one, might I add. Olive green has been seen in garments such as edgy jackets and jeans They also happen to make the perfect pair with the summer’s favorite trend, Aztec. Try pairing some olive skinnies with an Aztec inspired sweater, finished perfectly with a pair of your favorite Steve Maddens. A match made in fashion Heaven, you can be sure that these two styles will be making a public debut this fall.                                                                

Feminine Leather +Angular Skirts

Although edgy and sophisticated seem like they would be placed in different fashion categories, fashion folks are beginning to interpret the conjoining of the two to be something magical. This is a blessing for girls like me who like to experiment between the two looks on a day-to-day basis. Leather is expanding its horizons from the basic jacket to classy inspired peplums, pencil skirts and jeans. When adding leather detailed pieces to your wardrobe, try to stick to one leather statement piece and pair it with a delicate necklace that won’t make your outfit look like you just parked your Harley. Gone are the days of straight-edged skirts; a new twist to the classic pencil skirt has been added. Angular cuts are the new buzz, and let me tell you this bee-hive will be the one that everyone swarms to this fall.                                                         

Spotted 

Looking to be the cat’s meow this fall? Rest assured, fall 2013 will be displaying spot-inspired outfits that will make any feline fashionista swoon. We observed some new cat trends starting to make a popular stance this summer (grumpy cat anyone?) However, the original leopard print is still remaining dominant in the fashion realm. If you’re looking to include some of the print into your wardrobe this fall, try incorporating one leopard piece like a pair of flats or a trendy belt. That way you won’t look like you just walked out of the jungle, but instead right off the CATwalk.                                                                                                                                

Dark Florals

Flower power? Yeah, no kidding. Fabulous floral has been making a huge statement in the fashion industry since the spring season, however, designers are starting to take on a new twist to the pastel floral hues that decorated their garments earlier this year. Designers are presenting a darker mood with their designs; incorporating jewel tones such as emerald greens, deep purples and pinks. Fashion week displayed this trend in many different forms ranging from bold blouses to draped skirts. Try this trend for yourself: pair a dark floral shirt with some skinnies, a light-colored jacket and some black booties.                                                              

Layered

What better way to strut around campus than in a light denim or plaid chambray over-laid with a cozy sweater? This look offers a sophisticated, yet simple ensemble for this fall season. Sure, our simple cashmere sweaters may look great by themselves but accompanied with a peek-a-boo blouse underneath will take it from casual comfy to chic with little to no effort. Score! Have some summer dresses looming in your closet still? Try this trend by overlapping your favorite sweater and summer frock to create a fall inspired romance.

When putting together the perfect fall outfit, add some of these style savvy add-ons that will take any arrangement to the next level.

Arrow arm wear (bracelets)

Cat-eye Sunglasses

Anything MUSTARD

Totes on totes on totes

Ankle booties

Cassie Zimmer

Illinois State

Hi! My name is Cassie Zimmer and I am a writer for HerCampus Illinois State. I am so excited to have just joined an awesome group of ladies to share my love of writing with. I am a fashionista who loves keeping up to date with the latest trends in the fashion industry. I hope to write articles that will be enjoyable for the fans of HerCampus to read and will hopefully take something away from the information I provide.
Contributor account for Illinois State