Little Things to Help you De-Stress

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at HWS chapter.

Finals are just around the corner and it can feel overwhelming to try and tackle every assignment at once. Stress can cause you to be less productive, but there are little things that you can do to help yourself relax. Different techniques work for different people, when it comes to stress, but sometimes making little changes or doing small things might help you become a little less stressed in order to survive finals week.

1. Go for a Walk

Spring has sprung and the weather keeps getting nicer, so if you start to feel a little stressed, you can clear your mind with some fresh air. While taking a walk, don’t think about all the things you have to do, but instead try and focus on your surroundings. I know it can be hard to clear your mind, but just try and enjoy nature instead of worrying about your to-do list. After a nice walk to clear your mind, tackling the things you have to do won’t feel as impossible.

2. Take a Nap

Stress is exhausting so one great way to de-stress is to take a nap. A nap can help you to wake up feeling refreshed and ready to work. Make sure that your nap is either 20 minutes or 90 minutes because otherwise you may wake up feeling more groggy than before.

3. Listen to Music

Music is a great way to calm yourself down, when you start to feel stressed or overwhelmed. Whether you decide to listen to your favorite singer, classical music, or hard rock, music can take your mind off of any stress that you may have.

4. Take a Shower

Sometimes taking a nice warm shower can help to clear your mind and clam yourself down. Taking a break from the things you have to do by taking a shower may help you clear your mind and feel refreshed.

5. Exercise

Sometimes taking a little time to exercise can help to reduce stress. Going for a run, stretching, or even doing a few crunches or exercises in your room can reduce stress. The chemicals that you release while exercising will not only improve sleep, but will also help to reduce stress. Taking a break to exercise may also help get your mind off of the things you have to do, for a little while.

6. Have a Cup of Tea

Drinking herbal tea or a decaffeinated warm drink can help to reduce stress. Tea has certain chemicals that help have a calming effect, so, tea works as a better stress reducer than other hot drinks.

7. Clean your Workspace

Doing work in a clean area can help to reduce stress and make working easier. Cluttered spaces can make your mind cluttered, and least for me working in a neat, organized area helps me focus and reduce stress.

8. Eat Healthy Foods

Sometimes stress can make people want to eat junk food, but this does nothing to reduce your levels of stress. Instead of gorging yourself with greasy food and candy when stressed, instead try to eat healthy foods because they can reduce stress. Leafy greens that are rich in iron are especially good to reduce stress.

Hannah Bini is a senior at HWS and is majoring in European History with a minor in Latin. She currently lives in Portland, OR, but is originally from Pennsylvania.
Julia Sipos is a senior at Hobart and William Smith Colleges (HWS) double majoring in International Relations and Spanish & Hispanic Studies with a minor in the Writing Colleague Program. While Julia is a contributor to Her Campus at the Colleges, she is also a Writing Fellow and the president and founder of the HWS Figure Skating Club, which hosts seven events throughout the semester open to any students on campus who want to learn how to skate!