The Fresh Prince of… Humboldt?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Humboldt chapter.

Humboldt County is getting a taste of Hollywood while Will Smith and M. Night Shyamalan film scenes for the upcoming film ‘After Earth’ in Humboldt Redwoods State Park.

Filming started April 23 and is expected to wrap up on May 5. Parts of Humboldt Redwoods State Park will be closed, but Eel River Sector Supervising Ranger John O’Rourke said the rest of the park will be open to the public.

According to various news reports, “After Earth” casts Will Smith and his 13-year-old son, Jaden, as an estranged father and son whose spaceship crash-lands on Earth 1,000 years after it has become uninhabitable. Jaden Smith’s character then reportedly has to traverse the post-apocalyptic planet in order to save his father.

Humboldt County is no stranger to the big screen: a number of major movies have been filmed on the North Coast, including “Return of the Jedi,” “Outbreak” and “The Lost World: Jurassic Park.” In 2001, the Victiorian village of Ferndale set the scene for “The Majestic” starring funnyman Jim Carrey.

“After Earth” also stars “The Hunger Games’” Isabelle Fuhrman.

The film has been slated for release in the summer of 2013.

Zoe is a 19-year-old sophomore at Humboldt State University. She is majoring in journalism with minors in graphic design and dance. She is currently the Assistant General Manager and Head of PR for the student-run radio station, KRFH, and the Head Layout Editor for HSU's student newspaper, The Lumberjack. She has also worked as a writer, photographer, and designer for the campus magazine, Osprey. Zoe is ecstatic to be starting HSU's Her Campus branch. With hopes to one day work at a major women's magazine, Her Campus is a step in the right direction. Aside from being an aspiring journalist, Zoe enjoys performing (she's danced for five years, played the cello for 10, and done musical theatre for 12!), bike riding, and painting.