Tips for Studying for Final Exams

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Howard chapter.

The end of the semester has arrived and this can be a very stressful time. It is important to know the most effective ways to study and pass any exam with flying colors. Try these tips to help with your study sessions!

First, know when to study. There is a better chance of retaining the information when you are rested and alert.

Next, choose a study location. You can study anywhere. Obviously, some places are better than others. Libraries, study lounges or  dorm rooms are best. The place you choose to study should not be distracting. There are some things to consider once you have found your study location. Do you prefer to study in silence or listen to music? Do you work better alone or with other people? For some people music can be distracting and group study is done best when everyone has a good understanding of the material then it can be more of a review session for everyone.

Then, stay organized. Make sure you have all the materials you need in your study space before you start studying. Getting up to look for supplies will only break your concentration and possibly give you an excuse to stop studying or distract you for a long time. Having everything in place before your study session will help with effective studying.

Stay motivated. Think about how great it will feel once you have passed your exams and accomplished your goal. Think about how after classes and finals end you can prepare for summer plans. A neat tool in staying motivated while studying is having a favorite quote, family photo, or anything else positive that will inspire you. Keep your motivational item in sight while studying.

Plan your time and use it well. It helps to plan when you will study and how you can make the most of your study time. Space out your study time each week for the whole term/semester – don’t try to cram it all in the night before! Do the hardest work when you’re feeling your best. Save the easy stuff for when you’re tired. Set yourself a time limit for each task and follow it. This will help you work more effectively if there are time constraints.

Use your notes. Taking detailed notes in class will save a lot of time later. Re-writing and adding to your notes is a great way to revise what you’ve already learned.

Make your own study materials. Think up some practice exam questions or create your own flash cards to help you study.

Test yourself or have a friend quiz you. Don’t wait for an exam to test your knowledge – test yourself first. It’s a great way to gain confidence with what you know and find out what you still need to learn.

Finally, take snack breaks or quick fifteen minutes stretch breaks. This will allow you a brief break to reenergize yourself for more studying.

Hopefully these tips will help with your study sessions! Good luck with finals!

Kalia Williams sophomore English major with a a minor in Journalism. She is from McAllen, TX, a budding town on the border of Texas and Mexico. She is interested in fashion, cinematography, traveling and learning languages. In addition to writing for HerCampus-Howard University, she serves as the editor of Sterling Notes, the literary magazine at Howard University. She is an avid fan of soccer and aspires to go to the World Cup 2014 in Brazil!