So You Want to Study Abroad

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Howard chapter.

Hello ladies! Currently, I’m sitting in a chair in my living room in Ireland.  It’s ok, take a moment and read that statement again.  I’m in Ireland studying abroad.  Surprisingly, not many students study abroad at Howard, but that’s because they don’t know what to do.  Well, I’m here to inform you.

1.      If you are even remotely interested in studying abroad you need to start your research now.  Go to the Ralph Bunche International Center on campus (across from the counseling center and around the corner from the ILAB) and speak to Ms. Betty Aiken.  She’ll give you all the information you need. 

2.      Before you speak to her though, have an idea about what you want.  Where do you want to go?  How long do you want to be there for?

3.      Keep in mind all deadlines.  I think that if you want to study abroad for a year, or the first semester of next year, the deadline is in April. If you want to study abroad for the spring semester, the deadline will be during fall semester of next year but keep in mind that you should talk to Ms. Aiken about this before you leave for the summer. 

4.      Look up scholarships.  Scholarships can be found anywhere and everywhere, whether they’re based on your income, your ethnicity, the country you’re going to, or your major. Also, check with your school’s department.  They might be able to help you find scholarships as well.

5.      Keep in mind that all classes that you take abroad have to count for credit at Howard.  There’s no point in studying abroad if that will keep you from graduating on time.

6.      Talk to your parents.  Most parents have concerns about where you’ll be going and how much it will cost them. Communication is key.

7.      Last but not least, don’t stress.  Studying abroad is a fun and life-changing experience, so have fun and imagine all the possibilities.

Kalia Williams sophomore English major with a a minor in Journalism. She is from McAllen, TX, a budding town on the border of Texas and Mexico. She is interested in fashion, cinematography, traveling and learning languages. In addition to writing for HerCampus-Howard University, she serves as the editor of Sterling Notes, the literary magazine at Howard University. She is an avid fan of soccer and aspires to go to the World Cup 2014 in Brazil!