Meet Valinshia Walker: Founder of Yes! I Am My Sister’s Keeper

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Howard chapter.

By: Lafayette Batts

Valinshia Walker is a single mom of two who loves working in the community. Growing up as a victim of child abuse, she strived to overcome barriers that troubled her in the past which served as her sole motivation for earning her high school diploma at age thirty-seven. Walker then received her Criminal Justice degree at the University of the District of Columbia. Despite becoming a mother at the age of sixteen, Walker’s daughter  also overcame adversity and was able to graduate from Thurgood Marshall High School with honors and currently attends Trinity University as a dean’s list student.

“I accomplished this all with the help from Jesus Christ, myself, and oldest daughter,” Walker said. This inspired her to start her organization Yes! I Am My Sister’s Keeper to provide similar tools to other women young and old to overcome their challenges or barriers.

Valinshia Walker, pictured on the left

What is “Yes! I Am My Sister’s Keeper”?

Yes! I Am My Sister’s Keeper is a women’s support and empowerment organization that was incorporated in 2016. Their target areas are women who live in or come from underprivileged neighborhoods in the Washington, D.C. area. Their goal is to provide the tools to women to help overcome barriers they may have experienced, or currently experiencing  and form a sisterhood. They specialize in networking seminars, workshops, empowerment, speaker panels, and giveaways.

Ms. Walker also wants to incorporate visiting homeless shelters, specifically women’s shelters. This past November, the ladies came out and volunteered at So Others Might Eat (SOME), a nonprofit, in Washington D.C. Here they helped alleviate poverty by serving fresh lunch to over 300 individuals!

What are some obstacles you faced starting your nonprofit?

“[The] [m]ost challenging obstacle I face is getting people to participate. It appears people can benefit from the programs, but it is hard to get people motivated. It’s not just a one day workshop, it should be consistent to help unify women and be a sisterhood.’

How can our readers join or participate?

Ms. Walker is currently working on getting funded for an official website by this upcoming January. If you are interested in volunteering, you can contact her at 202-468-1744 or email her at valinshiawalker@gmail.com.

Hello, my name is Jaclyn Lafayette Batts. I am a senior Biology major Chemistry minor from Northern Virginia. I enjoy  creating articles to enlighten and empower the Black community. I aim towards acting as a conduit of communication to my community through my articles.