Joshua Burkholder ’14

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Howard chapter.

Full Name:Joshua Eugene Burkholder (Josh)

Age: 19 (My birthday is next week!)

Major/Minor:Chemistry/Sociology

Hometown: Phoenix, Arizona

Are you single? (if yes) Why? 
Yes, I am single. After spending all of freshman year with my longtime girlfriend from high school, I’m just resting and making friends.

What do you look for in a woman? 
In a woman? Quiet confidence. Not a confidence that makes you arrogant but self-assurance.

What do you like best about Howard University? 
I love the history around it and that there’s such a beautiful campus set right in the middle of D.C. The people I meet here are thinking about what they’re going to do in life rather than just partying for no reason in college.

What are you passionate about?
Um, I say education. Whether that’s my education or changing the way education is in this country.  Advancing education everywhere whether that’s poor neighborhoods, etc.

Where do you see yourself in ten years?
Ten years….Career started. Married, possibly family srarted. And, I still want to love what I do.

What is your life’s ambition? 
To build something. Something great. To actually start physiucally from nothing – raw materials – and build something that makes a change.

What do you like to do in your free time?
 Watch movies, play Fantasy Footbally, play actual football and basketball, and run campaigns (laughs).

What do you mean…campaigns?
A friend of mine is actually running for President of Howard University Student Association. He asked me to be campaign manager and I accepted. Now,I am reaping the seeds of my actions.

What do you do as far as extracurricular activities?
I am a Student Ambassador. I am a part of the Heatlth Professional Society. I am the campaign manager for my friend’s upcoming HUSA presidential campaign. And a member of National Society of Collegiate Scholars.

You’re very busy with classes and extracurricular activities. Where do you go for quiet time and solitude?
When I study, I like to go to the Health Sciences Library…just because there are graduate students there and they want compete and total quiet. Also, when it was warmer I used to go and swim because being underwater is one of the more peaceful experiences in life. And on three day weekends, I like to go to my aunt and uncle’s house in Green County Virginia.

What are your plans after graduation?
Either medical school or a PhD program. Where? Somewhere I haven’t lived before.

What do you think makes you attractive? Why are you a campus cutie?
Um, I’ve been told I have pretty eyes by every grocery store cashier since I was three…

So is there anything else you would like to say?
I am quite honored by the selection and hope that the magazine continues to grow in popularity.

Kalia Williams sophomore English major with a a minor in Journalism. She is from McAllen, TX, a budding town on the border of Texas and Mexico. She is interested in fashion, cinematography, traveling and learning languages. In addition to writing for HerCampus-Howard University, she serves as the editor of Sterling Notes, the literary magazine at Howard University. She is an avid fan of soccer and aspires to go to the World Cup 2014 in Brazil!