Cute Gym Hairstyles

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Howard chapter.

There are many excuses that one could make up in order to skip out on exercising; however, not having the right hairstyle should not be one of them. Follow these guidelines about which hairstyles to wear to the gym and how to maintain your hair afterwards!

Weave

With a weave, you can basically wear whichever hairstyle you fancy, preferably one that keeps your hair out of your face. Hair should be shampooed biweekly and you shouldn’t use hair oil on your weave. Try Elucence Moisture Benefits Shampoo ($6, curlmart.com) to keep your weave and your own hair clean.

Braids

Try this variation of hairstyles if braids are what you don.
Watch this video!

Remove buildup by cleansing your scalp weekly by spraying witch hazel on a towel and then moisturizing your scalp and hair with natural oils like unrefined coconut oil or Jane Carter Solution’s Nourish & Shine cream.

Relaxed hair

This hairstyle is quick and manageable!
Watch this video!

Use alcohol-free oil sheen like Nairobi Gleam Oil Sheen ($10.20, discount-beauty.com) to keep your hair looking lustrous.

Natural Hairstyles

One may be working the afro, locs or have some other variation of a natural hairstyle.Ladies embracing their natural textures can rock a variety of looks at the gym such as a bun, a side ponytail, a French braid, etc.

Natural oils like unrefined coconut oil, extra virgin olive oil and almond oil are great moisturizers that keep natural hair intact between workouts.Also, you can try Avlon’s KeraCare Natural Textures Leave-In Conditioner, ($12, avlon.com) as a follow-up to a post-workout shampoo.

Kalia Williams sophomore English major with a a minor in Journalism. She is from McAllen, TX, a budding town on the border of Texas and Mexico. She is interested in fashion, cinematography, traveling and learning languages. In addition to writing for HerCampus-Howard University, she serves as the editor of Sterling Notes, the literary magazine at Howard University. She is an avid fan of soccer and aspires to go to the World Cup 2014 in Brazil!