Chatting On The Yard With Alison Quay Law

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Howard chapter.

Alison Quay Law is a graduating senior from Cleveland Heights who transferred to Howard in 2009 from Cleveland State University. Law is the Creator/Producer/Host of Howard University’s first entertainment show, HU Yard Talk. After getting tired of covering hard news stories, she decided to bring the news onto Howard’s campus, and thus, HU Yard talk was born.

1. What organizations are you involved with in school?

I am the Executive Secretary for Howard University Association of Black Journalists, the former reporter/ host, for WHUT-Spotlight Network, former Historian for Transfer Student Association, and former member for IAMWE Dance Team, Reporter for HBCUBuzz.com; Mentor for the School of Communications Mentorship Program. Lastly, I amthe Creator/Producer/ Host of HU Yard Talk.

2. Can you describe what HU Yard Talk is, in detail?

HU Yard Talk is an entertainment show that presents my viewers with hype, entertainment, and swag. I go out and find the latest gossip on Howard’s yard, whether it pertains to: students, homecoming, games, relationships, professors, movies, parties, books, etc. I interview Howard’s “hottest” artist on the yard weekly, but I let my viewers be the judge. I don’t hold back so if you say you’re HOT then I hope you are because I only state the TRUTH (laughs). If you say you’re a comedian, artist, rapper, dancer, poet, actor, etc well, don’t talk about it… bring your talents to the yard and show the University what you have to offer! I also talk about the hottest org of the week, where I showcase an org (not specifically divine 9, all orgs) and see why they are the best org, what they are doing on the yard (programs, community services, etc). I mentions the Do’s and Don’ts of fashion, weave, dating, etc. and cover a lot from how to make a quick cheap meal while living on campus, cutest couple on the yard, hottest professor, rep yo city battle, latest celebrity gossip, entrepreneurs, and a variety of everything. This also gives individuals an opportunity to showcase/promote their talents, orgs, companies, blogs, etc. All and all, the show allows for a fun and educating time on the yard!!! 

3. How did you become interested in being a host?

As a child I was into the arts, I played the violin over 14 years, danced, and performed in plays. I attended Cleveland School of the arts and always just loved entertaining people and making them laugh. When I was young, I thought I was a weather lady and used to pretend, in what I thought was a weather lady voice, to tell the weather. I was always the EXTRA DRAMATIC female. My teachers would always tell me they were going to see me on TV. I would watch a lot of different shows, and act out what the host/ or actress were doing and always said to myself “I can do that, but better!!” Being in front of a camera was something I always wanted to do whether I was acting, hosting, etc.  The arts run in my family, from singers, to musicians, actors/actress, reporters, radio personality, name it all…someone in my family has done or is still doing it. So entertaining is in my heart, and blood. 

4. What is the path that you took to get there?

The path I took was very long and hard. People are shocked when I state that I was born and raised in Cleveland Ohio, where there is said to be no way out. The city known as “hopeless,” but in reality it’s a hidden secret of undiscovered talent (such as Terrance Howard raise in Cleveland, Avant-Cleveland, Hallie Berry from Bedford heights, Lebron James from Akron, Langston Hughes-Cleveland, Stephen Spielberg- Cincinnati, Steve Harvey-Cleveland Toney Morrison from Lorain, Lil Bow Wow-Columbus, Bone Thugs-Cleveland, Chip the Ripper-Cleveland, Kid Cuddi-Shaker, etc). There is no need for people to sit on anyone from OHIO because it has produced a lot of prominent talent. When people look at me they feel as though I have lived with a silver spoon in my mouth, they believe that everything was handed to me. But, my life was just the opposite. As a child I went through many struggles, as a child I was abused mentally, physically, and emotionally. I grew up looking over my shoulder every second of the day, having to take responsibilities at such a young age. Being told day and night that I was not going to amount to anything in life was something that robbed me of any tangible happiness. I raised myself and had to become independent at a very young age. No one really knows my life except close friends and family. I rarely share my past because I don’t want anyone to feel sorry for me whatsoever, hardships are a part of life and if it wasn’t for my trials and tribulations, I would not be the strong woman I am today! In order to make my dreams a reality I had to leave the city I had grown to love and hate, thus leading me to transfer to Howard University in 2009. Which was hard and still is hard because of lack of financial support.

5. What other interests do you have/What do you do in your free time??

I love love love riding horses and I wanted to be a jockey at one point of time in my life. I love ice-skating, attending plays, operas, comedian shows, I love eating, I will eat someone out of a house (laughs) I love traveling; it makes you a diverse individual. I love shopping and have a serious addiction to shoes I will buy shoes and never wear them because I have so many shoes it is scary. I am a fashion stylist in my spare time, I enjoy laughing cause it relieves a lot of stress and being goofy is exciting. In my free time, I am a Girl Scout Troop Leader for the Nation’s Capitol, I mentor young male and females, play the violin, travel, and EAT (laughs)!!! I also talk to my close friend Alicia whenever I get the chance. 

7. What do you plan to become/ do after you graduate?

After graduation I plan to move to the UK and or Canada, pursue my master’s degree, and um, I mean you watch T.V, right, (laughs) so I am pretty sure you will see and hear about my future endeavors. 

8. Any advice/last words?

Live love learn-you will learn from what you have loved and lived throughout life. Never underestimate the power of you. Put God in all your endeavors, always have faith in yourself the only way you can be truly happy is if you turn your dream into a reality, go for it don’t be scared nor let opportunities pass you by. Excuses should not be in your vernacular, it hinders your growth, surround yourself around positive real people, Find yourself and never portray to be something you are not, and last but not least stop complaining its always someone who has it worse than you so be THANKFUL!!! – Love, Peace, Happiness the lovely Alison Quay

Kalia Williams sophomore English major with a a minor in Journalism. She is from McAllen, TX, a budding town on the border of Texas and Mexico. She is interested in fashion, cinematography, traveling and learning languages. In addition to writing for HerCampus-Howard University, she serves as the editor of Sterling Notes, the literary magazine at Howard University. She is an avid fan of soccer and aspires to go to the World Cup 2014 in Brazil!