freestocks ChaY8166imQ unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
freestocks ChaY8166imQ unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Why Valentine’s Day Is the Worst

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

February — A month filled with cozy scarves, mittens, and hot cocoa by the gallon. The stress of gift shopping is but a fading memory…not.

Valentine’s Day is right around the corner and if you’re like myself, who would rather spend the 14th in bed watching hours of sweet, sweet Netflix, you’re picking up what I’m putting down. Valentine’s Day is just the worst. Here’s why…

Love me every day!

I don’t want to feel like my beau is doing something out of obligation. Shower your girl or guy with love every day, rather than just waiting for this one holiday to roll around! Treat them to a nice home-made meal just because you feel like it, not because the day on your calendar says you should.  

Consumerism with a capital C

I don’t know about you, but I don’t want to feed into conglomerate companies more than I have to. What’s better than spending the day with the person you love, free from the weight of consumerist guilt? I don’t want to spend an arm and a leg on a dinner and floral arrangement more expensive than it needs to be.

Sometimes, you’re just too lazy

Admit it, we’ve all felt the insatiable desire to curl up in front of the computer screen and let the hours pass by. Do we have to go to dinner? I don’t want to dress up, and I really don’t want to spend the next half hour doing my makeup. Let’s stay in and bake some cookies!

I Value Good, Old-Fashioned Alone Time

It is my opinion that more often than not, the best memories are made sitting on the floor in some pajamas. Valentine’s Day shouldn’t be a way of searching for romance in the form of lobster dinners or diamond rings. Romance is right in front of us! We’ve got the rest of our lives to enjoy love—don’t let it settle all on one cold, wintery day. 

So if you hate Valentine’s Day just as much as I do, don’t give in to the pressure of the shallow holiday. Stay true to you, girl.