This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

When it comes to spring break vacation or any vacation for that matter – the number one thing people do is overpack. You tend to throw everything in your suitcase assuming you may need it at some point. Luckily, there are generic items that you should pack, items that you want to pack, and items that can come in handy at any given moment. As for the other things it may be best to leave them at home!

Here are a handful of simple items that may help you stay neat, organized and on track. No need to bring more than just a carry-on and a medium size suitcase. 

Pack For the Airport: 

Photography by Tim Gouw

• The most important item(s) – government ID and/or passport!! 
  • Cell-phone, phone-charger, iPad, Kindle (any electronic devices) 
  • Noise-canceling headphones (great for a long plane ride; especially if you’re surrounded by chatter boxes) 
  • Neck pillow (you can purchase one at the Dollar Store) 
  • A book that you have been dying to read all semester, but didn’t have time (this applies to those bookworms who love hard copy novels) 
  • Antibacterial gel
  • Medications
  • Gum (especially when you need to pop your ears) 
  • Snacks
  • A lightweight camera (if you’re into photography) 
  • Favorite magazine (catch up on the latest fashion trends) 

Packing Made Simple For Sunny Locations:

Photography by Adam Kontor

• A good pair of sunglasses (preferable black – it goes with anything)
  • Cute spring color bikini and a cover-up 
  • Flip flops
  • Neutral pair of shorts 
  • Comfortable sneakers (you want to adventure a bit, such as hiking or biking) 
  • Tank tops (2-3)
  • A lightweight sundress
  • Sandals (wedges) 
  • Going out tops (2-3)
  • Favorite pair of skinny jeans 
  • Underwear
  • Bra and sports bra
  • A cross-body bag (you may not want to carry a large tote while sight-seeing or going out to the local clubs at night)
  • Pajamas
  • Comfy sweater and sweatpants 
  • Leggings 
  • A cute sun hat 

Don’t forget the toiletries. 

• Toothbrush 
  • Toothpaste
  • Hair brush
  • Straightener/Curling iron
  • Deodorant
  • Travel size shampoo, conditioner, and body wash
  • Hairspray
  • Makeup kit (foundation, blush, eyeshadow, eyeliner, lip gloss) 
  • Sunscreen
  • Moisturizer
  • Razor
  • Travel size first aid kit (you never know!)
  • Advil, Benadryl, Tylenol 
  • Feminine hygiene products 

Photography by Thorsten Technoman

The wort thing you can do is forget the important items (cell phone, government ID, or that cute bikini you’ve been dying to wear), so make sure to go over the list before you leave. Sometimes keeping it small and simple can help in the long run. And, if you did forget an item – don’t panic. There are gift shops and local stores that can help with miscellaneous items you may have missed. 

Feel free to print me!