Style Star: Zooey Deschanel

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

Last week after Thanksgiving I sat down to watch my favorite elf, Buddy, in the hilarious Christmas movie, Elf. Now that Thanksgiving is past I can finally enjoy my Holiday movie marathons without people complaining it’s too soon. Doesn’t everyone put up their trees up the day after Halloween? No? Just me… Anyway, I completely forgot that it was Zooey Deschanel who played Buddys girlfriend, Jovie. Maybe it was her blonde hair that threw me off. Zooey has had quite the career since she fell in love with an Elf. She has starred in hits such as (500) Days of Summer and most recently the Fox show New Girl. Zooey brings an adorable, quirky vibe to each role she plays. 

Accompanying her charming personality Zooey brings a bright and fresh sense of style to her wardrobe. Her looks give off a great feminine indie feel. One look Zooey constantly rocks is tights under her dresses. Zooey doesn’t just add your typical black tights with her dresses, but mixes it up by including vivid colors to her print dresses as well. Here Zooey took a gold printed dress and added electric blue tights, which gives the dress a great sunny look. 

This trend may be one of the trademarks of her character, Jess, but I find it charming. As a fellow glasses wearer I’m glad someone is making this look work. If you are not reading impaired there’s no reason you can’t also bring out your inner four eyes and rock glasses like the rest of us. Many stores are now starting to carry rimmed fake glasses to keep up with this fad. While some may think this look is a little hipster I like the retro look it gives off. 

Feminine, printed dresses are a staple in Zooey’s wardrobe. Paired off with a cardigan, tights and colored ballet flats, this look would be easy to work into your own wardrobe. In keeping up with Zooey’s style try and find dresses that have fun and lively prints. Don’t be afraid to jump outside your monochromatic style and add a variety of colors to your outfit that you wouldn’t normally try.

Zooey’s style seems to be all about fun and wearing bright colorful clothing to match her personality. On top of looking impeccable she always seems to have a smile on and carefree attitude. So on top of dressing like Zooey, let’s try and match her optimism. With finals just around the corner and the amount of stress and homework piling up, don’t underestimate the power of a good attitude. Have a good week and study hard! Christmas break is right around the corner! 

Grace Gavilanes is a rising junior at Hofstra University majoring in English and Journalism. She hopes to pursue a career in Journalism and, eventually, in English Education. Grace is super driven and has many goals that she is positive will be made into reality. This Queens native enjoys drinking bubble tea and dancing in the rain!