Samantha Sedlack 15′

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

Samantha Sedlack

Samantha Sedlack knew she had a passion for music and radio after being involved in her community run radio station. Now as a senior, she has taken her love for music and applied it to her life as Music Director of WRHU.

HOW DID YOU DECIDE TO BECOME A PART OF WRHU?

“When I was in high school, I was in a community run radio station, and I wanted to continue that when I went to college, so I decided to check out WRHU. I wasn’t really sure about the process, so I joined the spring semester of my freshman year.”

INITIALLY, DID YOU KNOW THAT YOU WANTED TO BECOME MUSIC DIRECTOR OF WRHU?

“When I hosted my radio show in high school, I did a music segment on that where I interviewed a lot of guests and bands and things along those lines, and in order to be a part of WRHU’s music department, I wanted to be something really big and important in it so I could make those decisions on my own.”

WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE PART ABOUT BEING MUSIC DIRECTOR/INVOLVED WITH WRHU?

“As the music director I am able to help people that are becoming a part of WRHU. Being on the executive board as music director, we get to teach the training class to the new students, which is really exciting because you get to teach them a lot of new things, and see how they get excited and involved in it. My favorite thing about being just music director is getting to go to all of the events and covering them—it’s really awesome.”

WHAT TYPES OF INTERNSHIPS HAVE YOU HAD?

“Last spring I interned at WABC, the local network in New York. I interned with Live with Kelly & Michael in the Programs and Operations Department, so I covered every show that the local department did that was a special.  This semester I will be interning at Covino & Rich on Sirius XM.”

WHAT ARE YOUR PLANS AFTER GRADUATION?

“I hope to do something in the broadcast field. I really have a vast interest in a lot of things. I love TV. I love radio. I love being on-air. I love engineering. I love creating things and producing things, so anything within the broadcast realm that doesn’t involve me sitting at a desk—that would be my worst nightmare. Anything that’s hands-on, I would love that.”

Hey Her Campus! I am Peighton Crawford and I am currently a student at Hofstra University! I am originally from Aurora, Colorado, and I am super excited about living in New York. I am interested in anything from fashion to sports. Twitter: @_peighton_ Instagram: peightoncrawford Blog: peightoncrawford.wordpress.com
Rachel is a senior at Hofstra University where she majors in journalism with minors in fine arts photography and creative writing. The Rochester, NY native is involved in several organizations on campus including the Hofstra chapters of Ed2010 and She's the First. She is also an RA in a freshman residence hall. Rachel has interned at College Lifestyles, Cosmopolitan, The Knot Magazine, and is now interning at Us Weekly. She hopes to someday fulfill her dreams of being an editor at a magazine. Until then, she is a dreamer, a wanderlust and a lover of haikus. Follow her on Twitter for silly and sarcastic tidbits @rcrocetti!