Kreayshawn and Neon Indian: “Noisey” No Holds Barred Performance

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

West Coast female rapper Kreayshawn and indie rock band Neon Indian entertained college co-eds at Hofstra USA last week as a part of the Noisey College Tour presented by Hofstra Concerts and sponsored by Dell and Intel. With colossal sub woofers, metal gates across the stage and a designated concession area serving alcohol to those over 21, the members of Hofstra Concerts  put on the event with little incident.

“We thought it would be nice to have a different sound than what we usually bring here,” said Hofstra Concerts Vice President Claire Teson, a junior music merchandising major. “We wanted to counteract the sound of our homecoming concert, Vibe Live, within the same semester.”

The acts of Vibe Live that Teson referred to included old school hip-hop duo Salt n’ Pepa, Long Island based rock band Taking Back Sunday and hardcore rapper Rick Ross.

The seemingly odd pairing of artists brought a diverse audience of students to this free mid week concert, and reactions to the performances were mixed.

“I’m a fan of Neon Indian and I like that Hofstra brought underground artists,” said senior anthropology major Tess Jay. Reviews for rapper Kreayshawn’s forty minute set were not as positive.

The rapper announced that she had just taken acid and that “acid on Long Island sucked” in terms of quality.

The concert, which lasted two hours, had original ticket prices of $10 but sponsor Dell bought out all the tickets at the last minute, making the event free to all students, undoubtedly contributing to the success of the night.

A Boston girl living in New York, Sidney is a senior at Hofstra University double majoring in journalism and sociology. She's grown to love interviewing and feature writing after interning at  non-profits, Cosmopolitan Magazine, MTV News and the 2012 Democratic National Convention in Charlotte, NC. She is the Campus Correspondent of HC Hofstra as well as an active member in the Hofstra Association of Black Journalists, Ed2010 Hofstra and the Society of Collegiate Journalists. She loves dancing with her on-campus team, Imani Dance Ensemble, and has an incurable addiction to shoes, Boston sports teams and Japanese barbeque. Follow Sidney on Twitter, @Sid_Madden!