The Hottest Makeup Trends to Try This Spring

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

Spring is often the perfect time of year to trade your deep purple lipsticks and smoky eye shadows of winter and flaunt a fresh faced, natural makeup look. But this spring, some of the hottest looks from the Spring 2016 Runway shows are anything but neutral. Here are some of the biggest makeup trends seen on the runway for this spring:

Red Lips

Kiss your nude lipstick goodbye and flaunt your favorite shade of crimson to stand out against the crowd as the seasons transition.

Blue Eye shadow

As seen on Gigi Hadid in the Diane von Furstenberg Spring 2016 show, blue eye shadow is the perfect way to youthfully brighten up your eyes with looking juvenile. Whether you’re daring enough to try an electric blue shade à la 1980 or if pale blues are more of your style, stock up on all hues for this season.

Shimmery Eyes

Glittery eyes illuminated the runway this spring, from both shimmery eye shadow and actual glitter rhinestones, as seen in the Delpozo show.

Dewy Skin

Dewy skin has been all over the runway, and the trend isn’t going away any time soon. Highlight the tops of your cheekbones and the high points of your forehead and nose to achieve the “dancing all night look”, as seen in the Marc Jacobs 2016 runway show (see also: the light blue eye shadow on the inner corner of the model’s lids!)

Nail Art

Amp up your manicure this spring with fun colors on your French manicures or half-moon designs in metallic shades along the top and cuticle of your nail, like in this Jonathan Simkhai design.

Decorated Hair

Dress up an ordinary up-do with floral clips, as seen in the Rodarte Spring 2016 collection, or weave a colorful scarf into a bread or as a headband to bring add a spring-like flair to your hair. 

Sarah Hanlon is a senior at Hofstra University where she is pursuing a major in journalism. She almost always has an iced coffee in her hand, and she's an avid lover of online shopping, reality TV, and New York City. When she’s not researching all things Kate Middleton or reading lifestyle blogs, you can find her binge watching The Bachelor or writing about the latest pop culture, fashion and beauty trends. After college, she hopes to make a career out of her love for TV and style in New York. Follow her on Twitter or Instagram: sarahhanlon_.
Coming from a small town in Connecticut, Hailey is a recent graduate of Hofstra University. She spent her time in school working as the Campus Correspondent for the Hofstra chapter of Her Campus where she led the chapter to a pink level status every semester she oversaw the chapter. She also served as the Personnel Director for Marconi Award Winning station WRHU-FM. While holding multiple positions at Hofstra, she was a communications intern at Brooklyn Sports and Entertainment, the company that oversees Barclays Center and Nassau Veteran's Memorial Coliseum.