From Hofstra to Hostel: I’m Coming Home

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.
Throwback to the start of your journey, I’m talking way, way back when you first received your acceptance letter to your study abroad program. At that time there was a mixture of nervousness and excitement about settling into what would be your new home for a semester. Now with coming home on the horizon all those feelings have started up again! Probably the weirdest thing is the fact that returning home comes with a little more nervousness than excitement for many reasons.

You’re Comfortable

As they say, home is where the heart is. Right now you’re at the point where your heart has embedded itself in your study abroad country to the extent that you call it home. Long gone are the days of tourism but now you feel like a regular citizen and live life accordingly, why mess up a good thing right?

You’ve Made New Friends

I don’t know about you but friendships are what keep me grounded. With these newfound friendships you have people to confide in, people who truly get what you’re going through and understand all the ups and downs. Not that your friends from home don’t but there’s no way to break down your journey in the way that you don’t have to with the people who’ve also lived it.

You Almost Take Traveling For Granted

God bless America but it is ridiculously expense to see the whole country, instate flights alone cost more than it does for you to fly from Milan to Athens (trust me, this is personal experience)! With that said I’m sure a lot of you have racked up a lengthy travel list that is longer than the states you have already seen.

“The Real World” is Something You’ve Swiftly Avoided

Most people study abroad as juniors or seniors, right at the time in which you’re supposedly expected to buckle down and get serious. Now realizing that you’re days are numbered your impending future can seem so scary especially since you’ve been in bliss reaping the benefits life has to offer abroad!

A Little Bit of Freedom is Sacrificed

We all know what going away to school feels like. Summer or winter break is over and you can’t wait to go back to being your own boss. Now about 5 months later, in a foreign country in which you’re deemed legal in all aspects social and political it’s hard to imagine someone else making the rules for you.

I’m not implying that at the end of your journey you won’t want to come home at all but towards the end you quickly find yourself in the mindset that your host country is your home! Although for the sake of your family and friends please avoid tearing up about leaving because they miss you.
Hofstra '17 Hofstra Chapter Vice President (December '16 - December '17) From a young age Naledi has been obsessed with all things pop culture and entertainment. Through writing for Her Campus she has been able to reach a large audience of badass collegiate women who share her crazy passions as well. Beyond Her Campus Naledi is IN LOVE with Hofstra. Her favorite part? The school of comm for allowing her to branch out and get a real dip into the real world prior to graduating. Additionally Naledi is one of those classic people who studies abroad in the spring of 2016 and won't ever stop talking about it! Her best advice? Go and see the world kids and fall in love with your major like Ali and Noah from the Notebook fell in love with each other.
Coming from a small town in Connecticut, Hailey is a recent graduate of Hofstra University. She spent her time in school working as the Campus Correspondent for the Hofstra chapter of Her Campus where she led the chapter to a pink level status every semester she oversaw the chapter. She also served as the Personnel Director for Marconi Award Winning station WRHU-FM. While holding multiple positions at Hofstra, she was a communications intern at Brooklyn Sports and Entertainment, the company that oversees Barclays Center and Nassau Veteran's Memorial Coliseum.