This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

Five of the best theatre, concerts, and art events happening in NYC and around LI.

1.    Bat Boy: The Musical – Hofstra University

“When a half-boy/half-bat creature is found in a cave, he’s taken in by a local family and named Edgar. But it’s difficult to be a Bat Boy in Hope Falls, West Virginia, and not everyone is as loving as the Parker family. This is a story of prejudice, forbidden love, secrets and the mysterious origins of … the Bat Boy.” Hofstra’s 2014 Musical Bat Boy opens this weekend! Starring Jack Saleeby and Laura Erle, this exciting tale of mystery, discrimination, and intrigue is an ABSOLUTE MUST SEE! The dynamic set, colorful costumes and jaunty tunes bring the town of Hope Falls to life. Bat Boy: The Musical will be playing in the John Cranford Adams Playhouse @ Hofstra University October 17-26. For further information and show times visit: http://www.hofstra.edu/drama-dance/ or http://events.hofstra.edu/index.php?eID=9165

2.   Found – Atlantic Theatre Company (Off-Broadway)

Found is a musical based on hundreds of true stories. This eccentric musical was created from discarded notes and letters that have been found in the real world. Found has been described by TimeOutNY as a modern Hair. “The show follows Davy who, along with his two best friends, is lost and broke. When he finds a strangely revealing note on his windshield meant for someone else, it sparks an outlandish idea that finds him and his compatriots on a wild, comedic journey. This raucous and insightful new musical tells a story of ambition, betrayal and loyalty while celebrating the weirdness in all of us.” For show times, tickets, and more information visit: atlantictheater.org/playevents/found/page/2/

3.   The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time – Ethyl Barrymore Theater (Broadway)

Winner of 7 Olivier Awards including Best New Play, The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time brings the international bestselling novel to life. “Fifteen-year-old Christopher has an extraordinary brain; he is exceptionally intelligent but ill-equipped to interpret everyday life. When he falls under suspicion for killing his neighbor’s dog, he sets out to identify the true culprit, which leads to an earth-shattering discovery and a journey that will change his life forever.” The New York Times called The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time “thrilling”, “exhilarating”, and “inspired.” The set is one of the most beautiful I’ve ever seen! The New York Post called it “The most inventive new show on Broadway.” Tickets are available through Tix4Students for only $27! For more information and show times visit: http://curiousonbroadway.com/.

4.   The New York City Ballet Fall 2014 – Lincoln Center

TimeOut says “The season ends on Oct 19, but a perhaps more significant ending occurs the day before when celebrated principal Wendy Whelan offers her farewell performance after 30 years.” Dancer Wendy Whelan is retiring and this is the last chance to see her perform. This company is one of the best in the world and who doesn’t love a night out at the ballet? I cannot wait to catch Romeo + Juliet in February. For more information and tickets visit: www.nycballet.com.

5.   BLANK!: The Musical – New World Stages (Off-Broadway)

This beyond innovative and immersive musical is an absolute smash hit! At BLANK!: The Musical you have the power. The audience uses smartphones to fill in the blanks. Choose the title, write lyrics, compose the score… make it whatever you want! The results are always hilarious. BLANK!: The Musical opens November 1st at New World Stages. “The show can’t go on without you!” For tickets and information visit: http://www.blankthemusical.com/.

If you’re doing a show or a concert in the NY metropolitan area feel free to let me know! Email me at dabneyrauh@yahoo.com with the subject “Friday Five.”

I'm a senior Theatre Arts Production major at Hofstra University. I'm almost always at rehearsal, reading plays, seeing plays, blogging about plays, or fangirling over plays. My likes include giraffes, Britney Spears, American history and coffee.
Rachel is a senior at Hofstra University where she majors in journalism with minors in fine arts photography and creative writing. The Rochester, NY native is involved in several organizations on campus including the Hofstra chapters of Ed2010 and She's the First. She is also an RA in a freshman residence hall. Rachel has interned at College Lifestyles, Cosmopolitan, The Knot Magazine, and is now interning at Us Weekly. She hopes to someday fulfill her dreams of being an editor at a magazine. Until then, she is a dreamer, a wanderlust and a lover of haikus. Follow her on Twitter for silly and sarcastic tidbits @rcrocetti!