Five Places At School To Meet A Guy

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

One of the hardest things about going to college or transferring to a new college is not knowing anybody, especially boys. If you’re someone who isn’t so confident and can’t easily talk to people then you probably worry about how you’re going to meet people. College doesn’t revolve around boys and relationships but let’s be honest, we all want to meet the cute boys at school. I’m the type of person who doesn’t have a problem talking to people first; I’m very friendly and outgoing.  Whether you’re like me or you’re shy and prefer the guy to do all the talking, I’ve compiled a list of the top five places at school you can meet a guy.

1. In class

This is probably the easiest and most likely way to meet a guy. You have to remember that everyone is in the same boat, most people really don’t know anyone either. The cute guy next to you may be happy when you strike up a conversation with him. Try asking him a question about what the professor just said, or asking if he wants to study together. Study dates always go well because not only do you learn the material for class but you get to know him too and who knows, your study date could lead to a dinner date.

2. Bars and house parties

If you’re someone who likes to go out, you will for sure meet a guy when you’re out at a bar or a house party. On the weekends when class isn’t the main thing on everyone’s minds, people are a lot more relaxed and social. Try to keep it to a few drinks though, you don’t want to meet a guy when you’re not in the right state of mind, and give him the wrong impression of you.

3. Extracurricular activities

Clubs are a great way to meet guys. As a member of my schools radio station, half of my guy friends are guys I know through the radio station. When you’re both in an extracurricular activity together chances are you have a thing or two in common. If its something you’re new at, ask him to give you the lowdown on everything that’s going on, he’ll be more than happy to help.

4. Sporting events

You’re very lucky if you attend a school where people go to the sporting events. Like the bars and house parties, this is a place where guys aren’t too focused on school and classes, they’re just hanging out. If it’s a sport he’s clearly into, strike up a conversation about the game or one of the players. Not only will he be impressed, but he’ll want to talk more.

5. Where you live

One of the best things you can do to help your social life is keep the door to your dorm open. Guys and girls will see you in your dorm, and stop by to strike up a conversation. You meet so many people that way and make a ton of friends. Just watch out for floorcest, you don’t want to feel awkward walking around your own dorm. 

Coming from a small town in Connecticut, Hailey is a recent graduate of Hofstra University. She spent her time in school working as the Campus Correspondent for the Hofstra chapter of Her Campus where she led the chapter to a pink level status every semester she oversaw the chapter. She also served as the Personnel Director for Marconi Award Winning station WRHU-FM. While holding multiple positions at Hofstra, she was a communications intern at Brooklyn Sports and Entertainment, the company that oversees Barclays Center and Nassau Veteran's Memorial Coliseum. 
Rachel is a senior at Hofstra University where she majors in journalism with minors in fine arts photography and creative writing. The Rochester, NY native is involved in several organizations on campus including the Hofstra chapters of Ed2010 and She's the First. She is also an RA in a freshman residence hall. Rachel has interned at College Lifestyles, Cosmopolitan, The Knot Magazine, and is now interning at Us Weekly. She hopes to someday fulfill her dreams of being an editor at a magazine. Until then, she is a dreamer, a wanderlust and a lover of haikus. Follow her on Twitter for silly and sarcastic tidbits @rcrocetti!