Dorm Room DIY- Packing Hacks

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

Welcome to the last blog post of DIY Dorm Room!

It’s unbelievable that the year has already come to the end but it’s also exciting for all that are getting jobs and internships this summer! You all should pat yourselves on the back for making it through another year of college because we all know it isn’t easy! Because it is the end of the semester, many of you will be packing up your rooms soon! Here are a few hacks to make traveling and packing a bit easier.

Cords in a Glasses Case

You can purchase travel glasses cases for one dollar or less at dollar stores and you can store your cords in here so they don’t get ruined or lost during travel. 

Press and Seal Jewelry

You can save your jewelry from getting tangled by using press and seal to keep everything in place. You can then store these where ever you please and not have to worry about anything getting broken. 

Photo Courtesy of Chasingfoxes

Using Straws

You can also save your jewelry by using straws. I prefer the press and seal mainly because it’s still possible that one necklace or bracelet could get tangled with another during travel and above, there isn’t anyway. 

Photo Courtesy of Couponingtodisney

Toilet Paper Rolls to Pack Long Cords

If you’re not interested in using glasses cases to store your cords, you can also cut up toilet paper and paper towel tubes to keep everything put together and not tangled. 

Garbage Bags Around Hangers to Protect Your Clothes

Transporting nice clothes is always a worry. Rather than folding all of them, just put them inside of a garbage bag and use the strings to hold the hangers in place. This will ensure that your clothes don’t get wrinkled or ruined. 

Fold Clothes Differently

If you fold your clothes differently, it can help minimize the space you need for packing them. I always “stack” my clothes because it takes up less room. Fold your clothes in half one extra time and stack them in a bin or whatever bag you’re trying to transport them in to make room for more items. 

Roll Clothes

Another way to minimize the space you need for clothes is rolling them. This is a quick and easy way to help you pack. 

Hannah is currently a junior journalism major and graphic design minor at Hofstra University. She's a small town girl from Vermont who moved to the big city with high hopes and nowhere near enough money. Hannah has a big heart for animals, writing, designing, and Netflix. She is an aspiring journalist who's bucket list includes traveling around the world and working in the magazine industry.