Campus Couple: Danny Nikander ’18 & Casey Lamkin ’18

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

NAMES: Casey Lamkin and Danny Nikander

AGES: 19 and 19

YEARS: Sophomores

MAJORS:

CL: Public relations minoring in political science and creative writing.

DN: Public relations and sociology.

HOW DID YOU TWO MEET?

CL: The pretty version would be that we were in the same class and he was in the same group as my best friend. He asked me if she would hang out with his best friend and we got those two together. And through that we ended up together!

DID YOU THINK YOU’D END UP DATING?

CL: I never really knew, I just didn’t question it.

DN: As we started hanging out, I was like oh yeah we’re definitely going to date!

CL: So that’s why you asked me out 8 months later!

DN: Well I knew we would, just not when.

CL: He called me Emily for like 4 weeks…

DN: We’ll she called me her sister’s fiancé’s name last week!

HOW WOULD YOU DESCRIBE EACHOTHER IN ONE WORD?

DN: You go first!

CL: *laughs*

DN: This is cheesy but she’s a very caring person.

CL: I was gonna say special….

WHAT ABOUT YOUR RELATIONSHIP?

DN: Unique…

CL: A lot of people think we’re just really good friends!

DN: We have a very chill relationship, we’re laidback.

WHAT’S FAVORITE THING ABOUT THE OTHER?

CL: I like his smile although I do like his hair and his depth of character.

DK:  Her smile and eyes, she is very supportive and always there for me. Yeah, she’s funny.

WHAT’S ONE THING THAT ANNOYS YOU ABOUT THEM?

CL: I hate that he gets mad at me for being mad at him. It always turns back around on me. It’s impossible.

DN: Yeah, I am really good at turning arguments around…It annoys me when she interrupts me.

FAVORITE MEMORY?

DN: I went to her house for a summer party and she took me around D.C. and I got to officially meet her entire family, it was really nice.

CL: That was when they called us “Salt and Pepper”!

DK: ‘Cause I was really pale and she was really tan.

CL: Shout out to the Lamkins!

CL: One of the first nights we hung out, we played question games for like five hours and learned everything about each other from our childhoods to our futures.

FUNNY MOMENT?

CL: A little girl came up to us and asked if we were brother and sister, and then someone came up and told her we were dating. She said, “Ew!!” and walked away.

DN: Yeah, that happens a lot…

WHO’S THEIR CELEBRITY CRUSH?

CL: Jennifer Lawrence or Jared Leto.

DN: Jordan Spieth… she also used to be very obsessed with Justin Bieber.

WHAT’S THEIR FAVORITE FOOD?

CL: His go-to is burgers but his favorite is pork chops and mashed potatoes

DN: She really likes omelets. I know that… I also made her her first omelet over the summer.

CL: Yeah that’s why they’re my favorite now!

BEST DATE YOU‘VE GONE ON?

DN: We went to NYC and walked around Central Park. We walked around for a while after, and picked a random Irish pub down an alley.

CL: And we had cheese pizza and chips and guac and it was the best meal ever!

Currently a Sophomore at Hofstra University working towards a BA in Journalism, with a minor in Sociology. In the past Clare has worked for the non-profit Plan USA to help run youth advocacy programs and has worked to promote youth governance and youth empowerment in social activism. After graduation, Clare hopes to work for Buzzfeed (fingers crossed) or another online news source. She is looking for her big break in life with the least amount of mistakes on the journey there.