Body Mod Blog: Tips For Your First Tattoo

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

Months Before Your First Tattoo:

1. Give your (first) idea at least 6 months to a year of thought before you commit it to your body. Tattoos last forever and you want to make sure this work-of-art is something you will want on you to the grave.

2. Give not only the concept but the placement a good deal of thought before setting your appointment. It is crucial to consider size and location for not only professional settings, but you want a placement that fits your body and your lifestyle. Some areas on the body hurt more than others (hands, ribs, feet, and head are some of the most painful areas) so keep that in mind if this is your first tattoo.

3. Research research research! Find a tattoo artist who is licensed and well reviewed, look at their website or social media sites. The more time you put into your search, the easier it is for you to tell which artists are good and which are bad.

4. Set up a time and a price for your tattoo appointment. Having a consultation before you commit to ink is a great way to get to know your artist and for them to fully understand your tattoo idea.

5. Please make sure you discuss this idea with your parent. Some states require written or in person permission from a parent or guardian if you are a minor and speaking from experience it is better for everyone if you are open about your plans for body modification. As much as you hate to admit it, your parents have a lot more life experience than you do and it’s best to run your idea by them before you go under the needle.

The Day/ Night Before

6. Hydrate! It’s not only important to keep hydrated before you exercise but also before you get a tattoo. Drinking water will prevent you from passing out or getting dizzy when you’re getting a tattoo.

7. Make sure that you eat a big meal before you get your tattoo. Eating will also prevent you from passing out (or throwing up) in the chair.

8. Do not under any circumstances drink alcohol before your tattoo. You may think that it will relax you, but alcohol is a blood thinner (which means you’ll bleed a lot more than you’re supposed to) and tattoo artists are under contract not to tattoo someone under the influence. Caffeine in coffee or energy drinks can also thin your blood.

9. Do not get a tattoo if you’re sick. Make sure to re-schedule with your artist because you not only risk infecting everyone in the shop, but an illness may affect the healing process of your tattoo.

10. Have your ID and any relevant medical information at the ready. Some medical conditions require a doctors note before you can get a tattoo.

11. Make sure that this tattoo is something that you can afford. Nothing says unprofessional like cancelling the day of the appointment when an artist has given up their time to draw out and perform a tattoo.

12. Do not show up a sweaty unshowered mess. Please, put on deodorant.

During Your Tattoo

13. Relax. It is going to be painful but hopefully nothing you cannot handle. By relaxing to music or having a conversation with your artist, you not only eliminate pre-tattoo anxiety but you begin to forget that you have a needle going into your skin.

14. Drink water during your tattoo, especially if you start to feel dizzy. There is nothing wrong with taking a break or two during a session.

15. Do NOT MOVE. This is pretty self-explanatory but the artist is under pressure to make your design perfect and you’ll want something amazing that will be on your body forever. This may mean sitting in an uncomfortable position for however long your tattoo may take.

16. Make sure you watch your artist perform your tattoos with new needles right out of the package. This goes along with researching a safe and professional tattoo establishment.

After Your Tattoo

17. Make sure to tip your artist. This goes without saying but it is a sign of respect and appreciation for the time and work they’ve put into your tattoo. The tip all depends on how much time they spent giving you your tattoo.

18. Do not touch a fresh tattoo with dirty hands. It is highly prone to infection and a fresh tattoo is basically the same as a fresh wound.

19. Keep the wrapping on your tattoo until your artist gives you the ok to remove it. Prepare for a little bit of ink residue and blood when you remove the bandage.  This should be around 1-3 hours.

20. Try to avoid bumping into your tattoo when it is fresh. It will be tender and could affect the healing process.

21. Apply Aquaphor (or another brand of tattoo aftercare cream) to your tattoo in VERY LIGHT coats 2-3 times a day for the first two days after you get a tattoo. After the two days, apply 2-3 coats of a non-scented moisturizer to your tattoo for about 2-3 weeks. You may think that the more the merrier for moisturizer but excess will cause you to break out in a rash around your tattoo.

22. Do not scratch, pick or itch the tattoo. You are at risk for scratching out pigment. Instead pat your tattoo like you’d pat extension or weave tracks.

23. Avoid excessive sweating right after your tattoo.  Only applicable in areas that get sweaty in the first place.

24. Don’t shave the area of the tattoo until it is done healing and avoid getting scented soaps on your tattoo.

25. Continue to take care of your body by drinking water, getting rest, and eating properly.

26. If you had a good experience, be sure to post about your experience to give your artist press so that others will go to them in the future.

27. If you had a bad experience please feel free to tell your artist but remember that they are people too and that it ultimately ends in how well you did your research and how much you were willing to spend.

28. Touch-ups may be necessary but most artists offer a free touch up.

Studying Abroad in Firenze, Italy. Current Vice President and Blog Mentor of Her Campus Hofstra. Contributing Writer and Intern at Inked Magazine. A writer of all things body modification, beards, veganism, and feminism related.
Rachel is a senior at Hofstra University where she majors in journalism with minors in fine arts photography and creative writing. The Rochester, NY native is involved in several organizations on campus including the Hofstra chapters of Ed2010 and She's the First. She is also an RA in a freshman residence hall. Rachel has interned at College Lifestyles, Cosmopolitan, The Knot Magazine, and is now interning at Us Weekly. She hopes to someday fulfill her dreams of being an editor at a magazine. Until then, she is a dreamer, a wanderlust and a lover of haikus. Follow her on Twitter for silly and sarcastic tidbits @rcrocetti!