Body Mod Blog: Tattoos and the Summertime

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

It is finally summer and that means many days spent under the hot sun. Yet, if you have tattoos, you know that keeping your tattoos in good condition is extremely important. Here are a few tips to keep your colors vibrant and your blacks opaque during the summer months.

Apply Extra Sunscreen on Your Ink

Of course it is vital to be wearing sunscreen when you are out in the sun, but it is important to put extra sunblock onto your tattoo. Tattoos fade over the course of time, but exposure to extreme sunlight rapidly speeds up the process. If you want your tattoo to stay bold, make sure to apply at least an SPF 30 sunscreen and to continue to apply it throughout the day. You paid a lot of money for your ink, keep it safe! If your tattoo is still healing, don’t put sunblock on the tattoo for the healing period. Instead, keep your ink covered up until the healing process has finished.  Your tan can wait and your tattoo (and your tattoo artist) will thank you for it.

Keep a NEW Tattoo out of the Sun

Now it is perfectly understandable to want to show off your new tattoo at the beach right after you get it done, but you need to remember that a healing tattoo should never be exposed to harsh sunrays. Tattoo healing is a very sensitive process, and you don’t want to expose your tattoo to the sun for at least 10 to 14 days, or until the healing process is complete. You will know that your tattoo is done healing when the peeling stops and only then can you truly flaunt your ink.

Swimming During the Healing Time is a No No!

You by no means should be submerging your tattoo in any bodies of water (lakes, oceans, rivers, or any sort of chemically treated pool) until your tattoo heals. Bodies of water house lots of bacteria that can cause your tattoos to get infected which can go as far as to permanently damage your tattoo. Think of your tattoo as an open wound during the healing process, you want to take really good care of it. This waiting period can last between two to four weeks, but even after you should make sure to clean your tattoo after getting out of the water.

Studying Abroad in Firenze, Italy. Current Vice President and Blog Mentor of Her Campus Hofstra. Contributing Writer and Intern at Inked Magazine. A writer of all things body modification, beards, veganism, and feminism related.
Coming from a small town in Connecticut, Hailey is a recent graduate of Hofstra University. She spent her time in school working as the Campus Correspondent for the Hofstra chapter of Her Campus where she led the chapter to a pink level status every semester she oversaw the chapter. She also served as the Personnel Director for Marconi Award Winning station WRHU-FM. While holding multiple positions at Hofstra, she was a communications intern at Brooklyn Sports and Entertainment, the company that oversees Barclays Center and Nassau Veteran's Memorial Coliseum.