The 7 Cutest Outfits for Your Summer Internship

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

Congratulations! You’ve been hired to start your dream internship this summer! As exciting as this may be, you now have a small obstacle ahead of you: figuring out what to wear. Here are some of the best outfits that will have you looking great and professional, but still super trendy at your internship.

1. Tastefully Printed Shorts

In this outfit, a pair of floral printed shorts is combined with a solid color top and blazer. This ensemble screams “I’m ready to work, but I’ll definitely be cute while doing it!”

2. Pencil Skirts

Every working girl needs to have at least one pencil skirt in her closet! Using neutral colors like white and tan for your main pieces leaves you room to add pops of color in your accessories, as shown in this combination.

3. Capri Styled Pants

Even though it’s summer, you can catch yourself in certain work situations that require pants. Try finding something that suits your style without looking too casual. These trendy polka-dot pants are a great example!

4. Short Sleeved Dresses

Short sleeved dresses are all the rage this Summer! You can wear ones that come in solid colors like this one or, if you’re feeling extra courageous, find one in a cute printed pattern. Just add an adorable pair of heels and you’re good to go!

5. Casual Shirts

Depending on the type of internship you are going to be in, you can sometimes get away with combining casual items with more formal pieces of your wardrobe. Take this example, where this casual denim shirt is paired with a tulle midi-skirt. It’s a great spin on the traditional internship outfit!

6. Shirtdresses

One of the cutest trends this season is the shirtdress! Don’t be afraid to sport one of these babies in the office over the summer. You can jazz it up by adding sophisticated jewelry, a pretty purse or even a simple waist belt, as seen here.

7. Blazers and Maxi Dresses

Blazers are a must have when it comes to internship outfits, but did you know they look absolutely great with maxi dresses and skirts? When pairing these two together, you get a fabulous business casual look that will get you excited for the summer and your internship!

Just a college girl with a love of all animals, delicious food and *super* sappy love stories. You can probably find me in bed binge-watching crime shows on Netflix with a tub of Ben & Jerry's on hand. Phish Food, of course!HCHofstra Social Media Editor (Twitter) and Contributing Writer. Web Intern at Cosmopolitan.com, prev. Web and Features Intern at Marie Claire and The Fashion Foot.
Rachel is a senior at Hofstra University where she majors in journalism with minors in fine arts photography and creative writing. The Rochester, NY native is involved in several organizations on campus including the Hofstra chapters of Ed2010 and She's the First. She is also an RA in a freshman residence hall. Rachel has interned at College Lifestyles, Cosmopolitan, The Knot Magazine, and is now interning at Us Weekly. She hopes to someday fulfill her dreams of being an editor at a magazine. Until then, she is a dreamer, a wanderlust and a lover of haikus. Follow her on Twitter for silly and sarcastic tidbits @rcrocetti!