2011–The Year of Erotic Protests

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

It’s no coincidence that two woman won the Nobel Peace Prize this year.  There is an eruption of change shaking foundations all over the world. This October awakened a significant revival of rebellious spirit in America and around the world.  A group began to form through the use of social media, Occupy Wall Street was its name and change was it’s game. 

This message has spread all over America, variations like Occupy DC and Occupy Boston have been popping up on every coast and have spread internationally to venues such as Occupy London.  The 99 percenter’s seem to be occupying the world.  This erotic sense of change has consumed thousands of people causing them to throw away their inhibitions and exercise their right to peacefully protest!  A protest of this magnitude and publicity hasn’t been seen in decades and although America is renowned for it’s progressive and radical attitudes we have found ourselves in a subservient rut. The 2011 Nobel Peace Prize winners adapted a similar method of the 1960’s slogan of “Make Sex, Not War.”  If they had used this slogan it’s modification would read, “Make Peace, Get Sex.” 

Nobel Peace Prize winners Ellen Johnson Sirleaf, Leymah Gbowee, Tawakkul Karman provoked an even more erotic demonstration than Occupy Wall Street, in the literal sense. They rallied the women of Liberia to refuse sex until the men stopped acting like idiots!  In a more sophisticated wording, the war torn country was looking for an end to the years of violent fighting. 

The women of the country felt they needed to intervene; they started a campaign in which the woman of the country pledged to resist all sexual encounters with men until peace was reached. It’s a huge step for Africa, and an interesting thought for women all over the world, they asserted their power through an outlet they knew men simply couldn’t resist.  These outcries of creativity and blossoming of change around the world are astounding!  Between the youth occupying Wall Street and the powerful, sexy women of Africa, the world is feeling the wrath of this fiercely erotic year.

Grace Gavilanes is a rising junior at Hofstra University majoring in English and Journalism. She hopes to pursue a career in Journalism and, eventually, in English Education. Grace is super driven and has many goals that she is positive will be made into reality. This Queens native enjoys drinking bubble tea and dancing in the rain!