10 Thoughts of a College Senior

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

Who are all these people? Walking into a party as a senior is like transferring to a new school. No longer do the older kids who I have heard about since the first day of freshman year surround me. Fratty Matty, and Athletic Joe are all grown up and instead, I am left with the youngsters experiencing college in a way I already did.  I am holding tight to my friends; this is the time where I enjoy their company without any distractions.

Free rent and moms cooking… is it worth it? With graduation in the air everyone’s favorite question to ask and a college senior’s least favorite question to answer is, “What comes next?” For those moving home, yes there are a ton of advantages. Who doesn’t love their moms cooking, and some free rent? But with a good meal comes backlash. My personal life is a little less personal with mom in the loop. Saving money may be key to a young adult, but 4 years of no rules and living with your best friends can make moving under your parent’s roof a tough transition.

Someone… anyone, please hire me. Some may be thinking that the only time for a break before retirement is after graduation. Although this is rare and the grim reaper called the real world is knocking. Most college kids live the broke lifestyle, so landing a job is ideal, even if we live in a world where that seems to be the ultimate struggle.

What was I thinking freshman year? Ladies especially, looking back on some of your favorite memories as a freshie leaves you with the memories of a far from cute outfit and questionable choices. It may have taken you 3 years to learn how to do a smokey eye without being accused of getting punched in the face, and to avoid crop tops in the winter months, but look how far you have come since then. In more than one way you were able to get your life together.

What is adulating? Now that you are older, your parents often times start to transfer the bills you rack up, over to you. Who knew IPhones weren’t free? And with a new job, how does insurance work? Paying taxes? I think I need to go back to school on how to take care of myself.

Bye, bye crop tops! Now that the professional world is around the corner isn’t it time to toss out your college attire of sexy going out clothes and sweatpants for class. Dress to impress means no nonsense business attire… Just add it to the bill.

No new friends. So far I have the collection of friends from high school, and throughout these four years I have found the people who have loved me at my best and at my horrifying worst. Is there room for more? And how do adults make friends anyway?

Wait, I thought all guys were in frats… This is a relief. I wonder how long it will take for me to find someone who doesn’t walk around in letters. I have to say it is going to be nice to meet professional, nice men and not frat boys.

RIP to my communal closets. What am I going to do when I don’t live with 8 other girls that supply me with open range to 8 other closets? I may have been poor in college but at least I used my resources properly when it came looking good.

Damn, was that fun. How scary is it that the best four years of your life are almost over? Half of me feels ready to move on and half of me could stay like this forever. College, you taught me more about myself then I ever thought I would know. Here you can do the most ridiculous things and the only thing people are ever going to say is, “hey can I join you?” These four years I got the least amount of sleep physically possible, but I will cherish these incredible memories forever.

My name is Lauren Pardee, I am a 21 year old Hofstra University Journalism major with a minor in Enlglish. I grew up in New England splitting my time between Connecticut and Cape Cod. I am a member of Delta Gamma Fraternity at the Eta Nu chapter. I spent my sophomore year studying abroad in Florence, Italy and keeping a blog about the 7 countries and 26 cities I visited along the way. I am interning in the Fashion Closet at Cosmopolitan Magazine currently exploring my love for magazines and fashion. Read my articles to learn all about fashion, beauty, pop culture, health and lifestyle.
Coming from a small town in Connecticut, Hailey is a recent graduate of Hofstra University. She spent her time in school working as the Campus Correspondent for the Hofstra chapter of Her Campus where she led the chapter to a pink level status every semester she oversaw the chapter. She also served as the Personnel Director for Marconi Award Winning station WRHU-FM. While holding multiple positions at Hofstra, she was a communications intern at Brooklyn Sports and Entertainment, the company that oversees Barclays Center and Nassau Veteran's Memorial Coliseum.