10 Award-Winning Films on Netflix

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

I’m sure most of us will have tons of time to browse Netflix over winter break, as most college students do. As a Film major, I feel like people of our generation have missed out on some of the best films of our time. That’s why I compiled a list of award-winning movies that are available on Netflix! This list is in no particular order since it is way too hard to pick my favorites out of all these great movies!

1. Amadeus (1984)

This film is a story about the famous composer, Mozart, as told through his rival. It is an amazing and hilarious movie, if you are willing to sit through the three hours. It is sprinkled with tons of historical references. If you don’t know anything about Mozart, you will find it truly interesting. The best part about this movie is the great acting and witty dialogue. It is a hilarious time period piece that won 8 Oscars, 4 Golden Globes, and many other awards.

1. Boyhood (2014)

Boyhood was a huge release in the film industry because it was filmed over the course of 12 years. Most narrative, fictional films are not done that way, they are normally filmed over a year or two. Many mixed reviews came out of this film, some people say that the story lacked and dragged on because of the way they filmed it. I honestly enjoyed the film, and I believe it is worth watching in order to see such a cool technique of filming. This film won 1 Oscar, 3 Golden Globes, and other awards.

1. The Butler (2013)

Lee Daniel’s The Butler caused a lot of excitement when it was released. I remember many of my parents and teachers raving about it. It is a very unique view about the life of one of the White House butlers. We see how his life is affected by all the major events that happen during the 8 presidencies he served. It is a very inspiring movie with an all-star cast, I believe it is important for everyone to see. It won 2 BAFTA awards, and many others.

1. Gladiator (2000)

This film is a favorite among many, including both emotionally intense scenes and also a lot of action. A Roman general ends up on the wrong side of the Prince, and in turn, has to fight for his life in the coliseum. Filled with tons of truths about the fights in this time, this time-period piece is very interesting to watch. I highly recommend it, especially if you are looking for a great hero story. Everyone should see what happened in this time. Gladiator won 5 Oscars, 2 Golden Globes, and many more awards.

1. The Great Gatsby (1974)

Many of us have seen the newest Great Gatsby with Leonardo DiCaprio (which is one of my favorite movies). But if you have not seen the original movie, you must go watch it. It is the perfect adaption of the original novel, and helps create the world of Gatsby within the actual time period. I have always been captivated by this story full of mystery, riches, and romance, the idea of Gatsby being rich but still feeling lost without his true love. This film has won 2 Oscars, 1 Golden Globe, and other awards.

1. Jaws (1975)

Everyone knows about Jaws, but I’m surprised how many people have never actually seen the movie. The story is about the small-town men who need to set out to stop this shark terrorizing their beaches, and it focuses on how it effects their lives. Although this movie’s special effects are outdated now, they were amazing at the time. This film changed so much about the movie industry. It is mostly known for the music, especially the scary tune we all associate with Jaws. Jaws won 3 Oscars, 1 Golden Globe, and other awards.

1. The Princess Bride (1987)

The Princess Bride is many people’s all-time favorite movie. A grandfather reads a story of romance and adventure to his grandson sick in bed. The story is about a peasant fighting to marry his true-love princess. The story is full of both romance and adventure, also full of comedy. Everyone must see this movie in their lifetime, especially since many famous lines come from here. It was nominated for 1 Oscar, won many fantasy and comedy awards, and more.

1. Shakespeare in Love (1998)

Even though many people haven’t heard of it, this is one of my movie movies! It is about young Shakespeare trying to write and perform a new play. Women were not allowed to act during this time, so a young woman disguises herself as a boy and auditions for his play. Shakespeare and this woman fall in love, and she ends up inspiring his famous play, “Romeo and Juliet.” The story is so unique and enchanting, with tons of modern humor along with the amazing acting. This film won 7 Oscars, 3 Golden Globes, and many more awards.

1. Titanic (1997)

Jack and Rose have one of the most famous love stories of our time, in my opinion. If you haven’t already seen the movie, you must watch it right now! The is about rich lady, upset about her forced engagement, falling in love for a poor artist on the titanic. If their story wasn’t enough, they face the horrible historic disaster of the Titanic sinking. The movie has Leonardo DiCaprio and Kate Winslet; it has to be amazing! It is such a strong and emotional story. This film won 11 Oscars, 4 Golden Globes, and many more awards.

1. To Kill a Mockingbird (1962)

The novel To Kill a Mockingbird is a famous work of our time. It is read in many high schools, especially since there is a lot to learn from it. If you have read the novel, you will really enjoy this movie adaption. And if you haven’t read it, it is important to watch the movie to know this famous story. The story takes place in the depression-era south, and is about Atticus Finch, a lawyer, who has to defend an innocent black man accused of rape. The story shows how Atticus defends his children against the prejudice of the time. This film has won 3 Oscars, 3 Golden Globes, and more.

Amanda is a student at Hofstra University studying public relations with minors in design and radio/tv/film. She loves to dance, paint, and experiment with vegetarian cooking. Amanda loves being involved in her sorority, Alpha Theta Beta, as well as being a volunteer for Big Brothers Big Sisters on campus. Additionally, she loves animals, environmental advocacy, communications, and event planning. (Please note that Her Campus nationals removed photos from articles that existed before 2019 and therefore my original photos are not included for those articles)
Coming from a small town in Connecticut, Hailey is a recent graduate of Hofstra University. She spent her time in school working as the Campus Correspondent for the Hofstra chapter of Her Campus where she led the chapter to a pink level status every semester she oversaw the chapter. She also served as the Personnel Director for Marconi Award Winning station WRHU-FM. While holding multiple positions at Hofstra, she was a communications intern at Brooklyn Sports and Entertainment, the company that oversees Barclays Center and Nassau Veteran's Memorial Coliseum.