This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Harvard chapter.

Move over upperclassmen, it’s about time the freshman of this year get some time in the Cutie spotlight! First up, meet this week’s Campus Cutie, Kate:

Who:

Kate Swain Smith. People think that Swain is a middle name, but it’s not. (imagine the hyphen)

Year:

2019 woohoo!

Dorm:

Weld

Hometown:

Boston, but more specifically Roslindale, which is a neighborhood within Boston

Concentration (potential):

Government with a secondary in Studies of Women, Gender, & Sexuality

Describe yourself in 3 words:

Curious, Goofy, Idealistic

Favorite Disney Princess:

Ariel the Little Mermaid

Favorite meal:

In the Square: a quesadilla from Felipe’s or a double chocolate Insomnia cookie

At Annenberg: Sunday brunch

What are you involved in on campus?

The Harvard Dems; specifically, the Campaigns Committee; the International Women’s Rights Collective; I’m a part of the IOP study breaks as Wendy Sherman’s ambassador for the program; I just got a job at the Harvard Shop; oh and I just finished the LEADS program.

What has been your favorite memory so far at Harvard?

At the hockey game last weekend (I know this doesn’t sound very exciting), I turned and John Kerry was there, which is so cool for someone who’s interested in politics. It was definitely a Harvard moment. But for my most fun memory here it would have to be when I took my parents’ car and drove my friends and I out to Western Mass to go apple picking.

What do you look for in a significant other?

They have to be interesting intellectually, goofy, laid back, able to make me laugh, easy-going, funny. A very typical answer.

Describe your ideal date:

I know this sounds cheesy but a Fair Date! With all the games and the rides and stuff. Or an activity, but not the movies, more like a surprise. A surprise trip to a fair!

What’s on your Harvard Bucket List:

Finding a genius way to break into the tunnel system without getting caught.

Favorite movie:

That’s so hard because I’m a big movie person, but I guess recently it would have to be Interstellar, but I’m a huge romantic comedy person, maybe It’s About Time… NO NO SCRATCH THAT. What’s that Christmas movie where all the stories intertwine… Love Actually!

Typical Harvard question: What’s an interesting fact about you?

So, I was born two weeks late, and when they took my mom to get an ultrasound, the doctors found that I had long hair down to my shoulders in the womb. I was born with shoulder length hair and it never fell out.

What will be the title of your memoir?

“How To Look Like You Know What You’re Doing When You Literally Have No Idea”

Vanessa is a sophomore at Harvard studying Human Developmental and Regnerative Biology with a secondary in Global Health and Health Policy. She is originally from South Texas and is very involved with the Latinx community at Harvard as well as Harvard's Science Club for Girls. When not in a lab or working as a tour guide, Vanessa likes to spend her free time in thrift stores or playing Pokemon Go shamelessly.
harvard contributor