This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hamline chapter.

It’s that time of the year again. The semester is wrapping up, finals are coming and it’s time to think about moving out of your room. Thinking about everything you need to move home can be stressful when placed upon everything else you need to get done in the last two weeks, so here are some tips to make it as stress free as possible. 

Communication:

Talk to your roommate(s), if you have them, to gain an idea of when they’re moving out. If possible, try to plan your packing schedule around theirs so they don’t clash. There’s nothing worse than trying to clean out the closet at the same time as someone else. It’s also important to talk to your RA to schedule your check out. You don’t want to be waiting for your check out only to remember that you didn’t schedule one. If you need a ride home from someone, also make sure you plan it in advance so your ride isn’t caught off guard when you show up at the car with two suitcases and ten boxes with accumulated junk. 

Bring things home in chunks:

If you’re lucky enough to live close to home, try to schedule a weekend home close to finals. You’ll get to bring a suitcase of bulky winter clothes home, and you’ll get to enjoy a home cooked meal. Bringing things home in chunks will make it easier when you’re moving out for good. You won’t have as many things, and you’ll have more suitcase space. 

Donate items you don’t need:

It’s incredibly easy to accumulate a pile of things you will never use while in college. When you’re locating everything you need to bring home, make a pile of items to donate. It’ll decrease the amount you need to drag home while helping others in need. It’s a perfect situation. 

Start your packing early:

There’s nothing worse than finishing your finals and realizing you need to pack everything in an hour. Do yourself a favor and start packing early. If you’re studying for tests, take a break and pack up one section of your closet. It will get you moving and help you in the future. Before you know it, most of your room will be packed and all you’ll have to worry about is acing your finals. 

It’s easy to get overwhelmed at this point of the year, but moving out shouldn’t be something that stresses you out. The end of the year is in sight, so keep going strong. Start communicating with your roommates, and everything will be fine.

Lauren Stretar is a student at Hamline University studying creative writing and sociology. She has two poems published.
Madelaine Formica is nineteen. She is the Campus Correspondent for the Hamline HerCampus Chapter. She's been published for her scripts on jaBlog and for a short story in Realms YA magazine. She's also a senior reporter for The Oracle and a literary editor for Fulcrum literary magazine.