Hangover Remedies and Recipes 101

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hamilton chapter.

“It’s over, hangover!”

It’s Sunday morning and you have a mountain of work staring you in the face.  To make matters worse, you have a serious hangover from last night’s Bundy party and VT outing. What do you do? Below are the three tips and recipes that can ease your aches and pain to help you feel better in a jiffy.

1. Catch some Z’s

First thing’s first, you need sleep. Alcohol is toxic to our bodies and our bodies need time to recover from each cup of beer, mixed drink and shot we took the night before. Ideally you want to get at least 8 hours of sleep to let your body work through last night’s damage.

2. Hydrate, mate!

You need to replenish the fluids, vitamins and minerals you lost during the night. This means you need to drink water, fruit juices and sport drinks like Gatorade (see our strawberry banana smoothie and fruit punch recipes below). Stay far, far away from caffeinated drinks. Caffeine dehydrates you further and will only add to your pounding headache.  

3. Just a nibble.

You’re going to want to add some calories back into your system too. Try to stay away from greasy foods and hard-to-digest foods because more often than not they’ll give you heartburn. Instead, opt for easy-to-digest foods like toast and cereal. These will give you some much-needed energy, and help to calm your queasy stomach.

Hangover Recipes

Strawberry Banana Smoothie

Not only are bananas full of fructose to help restore your energy, they consist of potassium as well. When you drink excessively, potassium is one of the many minerals that gets depleted. Bananas are also natural antacids — which will help your nausea and stomach pain — and they also contain magnesium, which helps to relax pounding blood vessels in your head. The best part about this recipe is that you can steal all the ingredients from Commons!

Ingredients:

6 large strawberries

1 banana

1/2 cup of whole milk

1 cup yogurt (preferabbly strawberry banana yogurt)

Directions: 
Blend the banana and strawberries with the milk until smooth then add the yogurt and blend on low for 30 seconds.

Iced Fruit Punch

If your stomach is upset, which it probably is, try seltzer or a soda like ginger ale — the fizz action is famous for soothing the stomach. 

Ingredients:

6 cups of assorted fruit juices 

3 cups of ginger ale

3 cups of seltzer water 

Directions: Freeze juice in ice trays. When solid, release from molds and store by flavor in sealable freezer bags for up to 1 month. Then, fill an 8-ounce glass to the top with about 1/2 cup assorted flavored ice cubes, add 1/4 cup ginger ale and 1/4 cup seltzer, and serve immediately.

Scrambled Egg in the Hole

To combat the serious fatigue that comes with a hangover, eggs and toast are the perfect solution. The protein and carbohydrates are a good source of recovery nutrients and easy on the stomach. 

Ingredients:

1 large egg

1 slice of bread (1 inch thick)

1/2 ounce extra-sharp cheddar cheese, coarsely grated

Salt

Ground pepper

Butter

Directions:

In a small bowl, whisk together egg and season with salt and pepper; then, cut a hole into the slice of bread.

In a large nonstick skillet, heat butter over medium until foaming. Place bread in skillet; carefully pour egg mixture into hole.

Flip bread and egg until cooked completely. 

Sprinkle cheese over the egg. 

Elaine is a junior studying communications at Hamilton College and is an active member of CAB (Campus Activities Board). She's fond of all things chocolate, high-heels, and OTH reruns. In her spare time, Elaine enjoys reading fashion blogs, hanging out with friends and family, baking cupcakes and drinking chai tea lattes while updating her eclectic music collection. Next spring, she plans on studying abroad in Sydney and hopes to one day travel the world while working in the advertising industry.
-