The Look For Less Two-for-One: Mary Kate and Ashley Olsen

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GWU chapter.

Ever since Full House’s catchy theme song played on our TVs, we couldn’t help but think, “who is that adorable little girl”? Well Michelle Tanner will always be in my heart, as will Mary-Kate and Ashely. From Passport to Paris to New York Minute, I’ve seen them all and I loved the different exotic locations they always went to. However, the twins are all grown up with their own fashion line and insanely stylish closet to match. Some have called their fashion in the past “hobo chic” but I just call it fabulous. The average GW girl may rock a flannel or an oversized bag, but not quite like the Olsens can. Well that’s about to change once you get the look for less!

Now, all of us die-hard fans can immediately tell the difference between Mary-Kate and Ashley. MK is the more free-spirited wild child while Ashley’s a bit more refined. Since they are twins, their style is very similar but I’ll be giving you tips on how to tweak your outfit one way or the other depending on which sister you’re feeling more! They aren’t afraid to take risks and mix grungy with fitted or classic with alternative. As my friend Anie says, “Mary-Kate has the ‘I don’t care’ look and Ashley is the ‘I don’t care’ mixed with the ‘I still care a little’ look”. And now you can have it too!

The ultimate grungy garb for your 8 am or 9:35 is definitely the flannel. It’s soft, loose, warm, and yet still so adorable. To put a new twist on an old favorite, try this BDG cropped flannel from Urban Outiftters ($39). With six different colors, there’s bound to be one that fits your closet; I personally love the maroon color, but the green is perfect for Christmas! The best-kept secret in fashion is the men’s section. When I’m craving that baggy silhouette I always peruse the men’s section first! Get this classic flannel from the men’s section at H&M for $24.95. Next time you’re checking out the racks, mosey over to the other side. You don’t actually have to have a boyfriend to wear boyfriend-fitted clothes!

To add that Olsen edge, rock some leather and lace with your boyfriend flannel. A lacey tank or bralette underneath and some leather shorts or pants on the bottom are a great combo. This capri length pair of pants from Top Shop ($85) with amazing zipper details on the bottom are perfect for those fall days and add instant glam. If it’s a bit warmer out, try this awesome pair of faux leather shorts from Urban Outfitters with some great tights underneath. Experiment with patterns or different color tights and socks to really stand out. To be a bit more Ashley, button up a little and tuck in with a small belt. If you’re feeling more Mary-Kate, let it all hang loose.

I don’t know what they’re carrying around with them, but the Olsen’s don’t go anywhere without a huge bag. It’s like a built in work out! Go oversized this winter to keep off the extra winter weight. Try this basic black bag with a metallic bottom from ASOS ($36.36). Fur is definitely in this winter so to walk on the wild side, add this faux fur handbag from Forever 21 ($32.80). Keep your outfit pretty toned down and relaxed in order to rock this bag. It’s big enough to carry your books too!

Another must-have is the perfect winter boot. The Olsens love their ankle-length bootie and Zara offers some great options. These studded biker books are the perfect combo of tough and cute ($159). For a more affordable and extremely Olsen-esque pair, try these high heel cowboy ankle boots in either brown or black, also from Zara ($89). The chunky heel is great for the winter…you’ll be able to strut around Foggy looking fierce without having to worry about falling!

When it comes to Mary-Kate and Ashley, it’s all about the accessories. Pile on the rings, the huge sunglasses, the turbans, and even more rings. This winter keep your ears warm with some fun chunky headbands and turbans. Try this turban wrap or this cable knit ear warmer (in grey, neutral, or blue), both from Urban Outfitters for ($24). When it comes to rings, anything goes. Turquoise, gold, chunky, dainty…don’t be shy!

Though we can all agree their So Little Time fashion wasn’t the best, the Olsen twins are definitely one of my style icons today and even if they’re not yours, now you can incorporate some of these looks into our lives!

PS. If you’re obsessed with MK & A like I am, check out http://olsensanonymous.blogspot.com/ for more inspirations on future outfits!

Melissa Minton is a junior at the George Washington University from New Jersey. She is majoring in Journalism and Mass Communications in the School of Media and Public Affairs. Along with being the Campus Correspondant for HC GWU, Melissa is the Vice President of a community service sorority, Epsilon Sigma Alpha. She has interned at Elle Magazine and hopes to one day write for a top fashion magazine.
Nicole Robert is a senior from North Salem, New York. She transferred from the University of North Carolina at Greensboro, and this is her third year at The George Washington University. She studies International Affairs with a concentration in Global Public Health, and minors in Public Health. A sister of Delta Gamma, Nicole loves to participate in many community service opportunities. She also interns at Washington Life Magazine and works as a hostess at a local restaurant. When Nicole is not studying or working, she is writing blog posts for The Avant Guide, an up and coming fashion company. She credits Pandora and her personal Tumblr for motivation and a creative outlet.