5 Snack Ideas to Power You Through Finals

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GWU chapter.

It is the time of year where not a free inch of study space is to be found in Gelman, and everyone is anxiously studying for those intimidating final exams. All that anxiety can trigger cases of the munchies, and before you know it, you have consumed enough junk food to make you stress about more than just that final tomorrow! Even if you are chained to a library desk from dawn till dusk, packing the right study snacks will help keep you more focused, more full, and less worried about what food you’re putting in your mouth and more about the information going into your brain!

Before you head off to your study zone for the day, consider some of the following options for a healthy and filling snack:

Fruit

One of the great things about fruit is how filling it is for its relatively minimal caloric impact. That’s because heavy fruits like apples and oranges are filled with water, which fills you up without weighing you down! Apples and oranges are good for their water content, or pack some grapes for some mindless study snacking.

Hummus + Veggies

The healthy fats and fiber in the hummus dress up boring veggies, such as carrots or celery. The crunch from the veggies will help psychologically satisfy you—you’ll feel like you’re eating a substantial snack! The added fiber from the veggies will help fill you up, too.

Nuts

Nuts are another great example of a healthy fat, the kind that helps your heart and lowers bad cholesterol. The great thing about nuts is that they are often found in pre-portioned snack packs, so easy for taking on the go! Nuts are a great source of protein too, which helps keep you fuller, longer.

Greek Yogurt

Another protein powerhouse is Greek yogurt, packing twice as much protein as normal yogurt. In addition, Greek yogurt comes in so many flavors, it’s hard to get bored! Pair it with some granola for added crunch, or some fresh fruit for added sweetness—it’s hard to go wrong with Greek yogurt.

Popcorn

94% fat free popcorn is another snack that is great for snacking mindlessly. The secret is in how aerated it is—since popcorn is mostly air, it takes up more space in your stomach and fills you up!

HerCampus GWU wishes you good luck studying for finals! Whether your stomach is growling in Gelman or you need something to eat in Eckles, pick one of these power snacks to help keep you full and focused!