Why You Should Start Drinking Tea

This is a sponsored feature. All opinions are 100% from Her Campus.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Gustavus chapter.

Tea has long been regarded in the East as a key to a healthy and happy life. Tea has been known to reduce the risk of cancer, heart disease, and diabetes; encourage weight loss and lower cholesterol. It also contains caffeine. (Less than coffee, which can make it a healthier alternative.) Below are the main types of tea you’ll encounter and a description of their properties and benefits. Happy sipping!

Black Tea: The most common variety of tea, black tea is made from the leaves of the Camellia sinensis plant and has a slightly bitter taste. It forms the base for many teas, including chai. It also has the most caffeine of any tea, 40 milligrams per cup. (A cup of coffee has 50-100 milligrams.) Benefits include antioxidants that can lower cholesterol and reduce risk of stroke.

Green Tea: The powerhouse tea! Green tea has a more delicate flavor than black tea and has about 25 milligrams of caffeine per cup. Green tea is packed full of antioxidants, some of which can even ward off cancer and heart disease, prevent Alzhiemer’s and Parkinson’s,and reduce the risk of stroke. 

White Tea: White tea leaves are picked when they are very young so it has a very mild flavor. White tea has about 15 milligrams of caffeine per cup. Benefits include potent anticancer properties and a possible improved glucose tolerance.

Oolong: Oolong is similar to black tea but is more fermented and thus has a richer taste. Oolong has about 30 milligrams of caffeine per cup. Benefits include aiding weight loss and lowering bad cholesterol.

Roobios: Roobios tea is a red tea and is from the Aspalathus Linearis shrub which can only found in South Africa. Roobios is naturally caffeine free and mild aromatic taste. Benefits include 50 times as many antioxidants as green tea. These antioxidants fight free radicals and help prevent cancer. Roobios also helps skin and bone health and aids digestion.

Herbal Tea: Herbal tea is often not tea at all, but a combo of fried fruits, flower, and herbs. Herbal tea contains no caffeine and had varying benefits depending on the ingredients. Herbal teas such as peppermint can sooth an upset stomach and chamomile tea is known to help people sleep.

Some of our favorite teas here at Her Campus Gustavus include Yogi Sweet Tangerine Positive Energy herbal tea, and Yogi Green Tea Blueberry Slim Life, which also contains hibiscus. Another favorite is Yogi Chai Roobios.

Check out more great varieties here.  

Katie Allen is Editor-in-Chief for Gustavus' Her Campus Chapter. She is currently in her fourth year as an English major. Her role models include Emma Watson, Hillary Clinton, and Leslie Knope.