5 Tips to Get Through Finals

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GSU chapter.

It’s that time of year again, collegiates! The end is near, which means we’re all stressed out, binge drinking coffee, and fretting over last minute assignments. You’re preparing for final exams and trying your best to manage it all. First things first…calm down. It’s all about pacing yourself and surviving until the end. Here are some tips to help you prepare:

1) Make a Schedule

Try to avoid thinking about everything all at once. This is where a planner can come in handy but if you don’t have one, a sheet of paper will work just fine. Lay out what needs to be done, when it’s due, how long it’ll take, and when you plan to do it. Most of us like to procrastinate until the last minute but around this time, assignments are starting to pile up. Before you even realize it, you’ve got four essays due at the same time and haven’t started any of them. Time management is one of the most important things to grasp in college. Having everything organized and ready to meet deadlines is crucial.  

2) Find a Study Space

Once you’ve got your schedule ready to go, find a place to study. Whether it’s your college library or the dining room table, where you study is just as important as how you study. Sitting in your bed with your laptop is setting yourself up to get sidetracked or fall asleep. Having all of your materials on a desk in front of you while sitting upright in a chair is the best way to go.

3) Ditch Social Media

When it comes to getting things done, cell phones are the main cause of procrastination and losing track of time. As soon as you hear a notification go off, you’re inclined to immediately check and see what’s poppin’ on the ‘gram. At this point in the semester, its crunch time, so set aside all distractions. Facebook, Twitter, and Pinterest can wait until you’ve finished preparing for your biology final.

4) Take Breaks in Between Study Sessions

Although it seems like a good idea to sit down and study for 3 hours straight, it’s not recommended. It also makes studying a much more miserable experience. Try studying in 20 to 30 minute intervals and taking short breaks in between. If you’ve been staring at your computer screen or sitting in a chair for a while, take a break. Give your eyes a rest. Also, get up and move around to get your blood flowing. The goal is to be productive while still studying effectively.

5) Do Not Pull an all-nighter before your Exams

If there’s anything college has shown us, it’s that the average student is infamous for trying to do all of their studying the night before. According to BBC.com, in a study that was conducted at the University of California, 90% of the participants found that spacing out study times was more effective than cramming the night before. As we all know, sleep is critical to our overall health. Most cramming sessions involve several cups of coffee or energy drinks just to stay awake. What’s worse is that studying while you’re tired doesn’t help with retaining important information. Get a good’s night rest and start fresh the next day.

Be excited that you’ve made it through yet another semester of college. Avoid overstressing yourself and just do what you can a bit at a time. What’s important is that you get your work done and that you’re properly prepared to pass your finals. So, take the time to plan out your schedule, calm you nerves, and knock the rest of the school year out of the park!

Ashley Mayo is a recent graduate Georgia State University with a Bachelor of Art in Journalism. She has a passion for reading self-help and fiction books, writing, women's health, and a large cup of caramel coffee. Her personal goals include discovering her purpose, loving herself, and having a happy, fulfilling life.
The GSU chapter of Her Campus