This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Gettysburg chapter.

My roommate always turns the lights on in the morning when she’s getting ready and is rather loud with opening and closing the door to our room. I know she needs to get ready and that is probably what works for her, but it constantly wakes me up. How can I gently resolve the issue without causing a problem?

I suggest that you explain to your roommate that turning on the lights wakes you up every morning. Suggest a compromise, such as asking her to use the bathroom to get ready or, if she has to use your room, to turn on a smaller light. I would also suggest that you purchase a cheap eye mask to wear when you sleep so that if she does turn on the light, you will be less disturbed by it. If she does not respond to you having a conversation with you, you may want to consider having a mediated discussion with her and your RA. I know confrontation is very scary, but it will be worth it in the end if you communicate with your roommate.

Sincerely, Abe

Juliette Sebock, Founder: Jules founded the Gettysburg College chapter of Her Campus in Fall 2015 and served as Campus Correspondent until graduating in Spring 2018. Juliette graduated from Gettysburg College in 2018 with an English major and History/Civil War Era Studies/Public History triple minors. In addition to HC, she was a member of the Spring 2017 class of Advanced Studies in England and of various organizations including Eta Sigma Phi, Dance Ensemble, and Poetry Circle. She has published a poetry chapbook titled Mistakes Were Made, available on Amazon and Goodreads, and she has poems forthcoming in several literary magazines. She is also the editor-in-chief of Nightingale & Sparrow Magazine and runs the lifestyle blog, For the Sake of Good Taste. For more information, visit https://juliettesebock.com.