rodion kutsaev 8P uQaTd8rw unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
rodion kutsaev 8P uQaTd8rw unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

5 Thoughts You May Have During Spring Registration

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Gettysburg chapter.

It’s time for first-years to register for spring semester classes, and naturally, you may be feeling very stressed about completing the registration process for the second time. Here are some of the worries and thoughts you may have while registering for classes:

1. What do I sign up for?

If you have a major in mind, you might be looking at the course catalog and thinking, “How am I ever going to take all of these classes by senior year! I’m never going to graduate!” If you don’t know what you want to major in, this can be equally stressful, as you may not have any idea what classes to sign up for. You just sign up for the classes that fulfill the graduation requirements and hope you eventually discover what you’re interested in.

2. It is so early!

Getting up at 8 a.m is for my 9 a.m classes is hard enough, so the idea of getting up at 7 a.m is horrible. Why do we have to register so early in the morning? How am I going to be able to follow basic instructions when I’m half asleep?

3. These time slots are unfair.

Luckily, I got the first registration time slot, but I would be so stressed if I got the last one. How am I supposed to fulfill my major requirements if all the classes are full because everyone already registered? It is hard to build your ideal schedule when you don’t have any control over what classes are still open when you register.

4. Should I take this class even though it’s mostly upperclassmen?

Sometimes, you may find that a class for one of your major requirements has four slots open. This is exciting, as you could get one of the seats, but it also means that the majority of the people in the class will be upperclassmen. Which means you won’t know anyone in the class. The thought of that is terrifying, but ultimately the risk is worth taking. It’s always good to make older friends!

5. How am I going to do this for the whole year in the spring?

It’s stressful enough planning for one semester, so the thought of registering for two semesters is terrifying. How will you be able to get the classes you want both semesters? How do you know what you’ll want to take a year from now? Why is signing up for classes even more stressful than taking the class itself?

I am a freshman at Gettysburg college. I am considering majoring in Environmental Studies and Public Policy.