5 Reasons People Were Wrong About Gal Gadot as Wonder Woman

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Gettysburg chapter.

*I have seen this movie, so while I’m trying to avoid spoilers, there are references to the film.  Proceed with caution.*

When Gal Gadot, an Israeli actress and model, was cast as Wonder Woman in Batman v. Superman:  Dawn of Justice, fans took to the Internet to express their outrage.  Unlike those of many “miscastings,” the complaints didn’t center on Gadot’s acting abilities or experience in the industry.  

“Gail Gadot [sic] is an attractive woman and may be a credible actress, but certainly no Amazon.  Again Hollywood have gone for skinny girls which not needed.”  

Nearly every remark found on IMDB pertaining to the initial casting has to do with Gadot’s looks.

“She’s going to have to gain a lot of weight and muscle to pull the part off.  Start eating cheeseburgers and hit the gym!”  

“There she is in her noodle arms, chicken legs and her almost completely flat chest glory much to the delight of fashion industry fanatics.”  

“Gal Gadot:  The titless wonder.”  

And despite assumptions, they weren’t just remarks from men.

“I’m a woman speaking here, but I have to agree that she’s too skinny.  People keep saying it’s sexist for the men to want her to have big boobs, etc but that is they [sic] way the comics have Wonder Woman drawn.  I would also ask anyone, would they really want to see a frail man playing a superhero? . . . Would you approve of an overweight woman (an actual flabby woman, not what Hollywood considers to be overweight) to be Wonder Woman?”  

After seeing the movie for myself, I felt it necessary to chime in.  Gadot was an amazing contribution to the film and, in my opinion, an amazing Wonder Woman.  

1.  Gadot is absolutely gorgeous.  

The critics said themselves, looks are crucial to the part.  Can we step away from her size, her breasts, her limbs, and recognize another woman as being attractive?  Henry Cavill and Ben Affleck make for attractive male heroes;  let’s acknowledge that Wonder Woman is just as gorgeous.  

2.  She’s fierce AF.  

Look at that determination.  Who wouldn’t want that woman on their side against an evil alien?

3.  She looks the part.  

Guess what.  She DOES actually look quite Wonder Woman-esque.  Forget the impossible proportions, Internet.  

4.  HER CHEMISTRY WITH BEN AFFLECK. 

This scene.  

5.  “Is she with you?”

“I thought she was with you.”  

Long story short?  Gal Gadot kills it as Wonder Woman.  

Juliette Sebock, Founder: Jules founded the Gettysburg College chapter of Her Campus in Fall 2015 and served as Campus Correspondent until graduating in Spring 2018. Juliette graduated from Gettysburg College in 2018 with an English major and History/Civil War Era Studies/Public History triple minors. In addition to HC, she was a member of the Spring 2017 class of Advanced Studies in England and of various organizations including Eta Sigma Phi, Dance Ensemble, and Poetry Circle. She has published a poetry chapbook titled Mistakes Were Made, available on Amazon and Goodreads, and she has poems forthcoming in several literary magazines. She is also the editor-in-chief of Nightingale & Sparrow Magazine and runs the lifestyle blog, For the Sake of Good Taste. For more information, visit https://juliettesebock.com.