Tea Time: You Owe Yourself

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Georgia Southern chapter.

It’s time to take a break, sip some tea and do some self-reflecting.

A lot of times, we get so caught up making sure those around us are doing well and taken care of, but what about you? There are come changes and adjustments you can put forth in your life that you deserve. You owe yourself so much more than you are settling for.

You owe yourself some alone time. Company is good to have, but not all company is good for you. Sometimes, we need a break from the world. You think better and pay more attention to your own needs when alone. Being alone does not mean you are being stuck up or don’t like people. It’s putting yourself first, while also giving your mind and body a well needed break. Get off your phone and set time aside to meditate, pray, write some goals for the week down and maybe even read a book.

You owe yourself the love you give to others. Waiting on someone else to show you the care and love you deserve might very well have you waiting a lifetime. Do it for yourself. Appreciate yourself because you are a great person and you do not need anyone else to justify that for you. You need to know your worth for yourself.

You owe yourself some gratitude. Take yourself out, buy your own flowers, drown yourself in compliments and be thankful for yourself even when it seems like no one else is. Once you can appreciate and love yourself, the right person(s) will know how to because you have already set the standard – and it’s high.

You owe yourself forgiveness. We all make mistakes and bad decisions, but whenever it happens that does not mean it is okay to beat yourself up over it. When you do wrong, you learn from it and make the necessary changes to prevent it from happening again. Once you do that, leave it alone. Mistakes do not define who you are as a person and you should not allow them to keep you in a stronghold. You cannot grow holding on to regrets. Set yourself free through forgiveness. We forgive other people for our own good, so you can forgive yourself for yourself, too.

I'm either at home writing or sitting at the nearest Starbucks. Writer. Poet. Womanist. PR Girl 
Jordan Wheeler

Georgia Southern '22

Jordan Wheeler is a Junior Pre-Law Philosophy major who attends Georgia Southern. Jordan loves writing, singing, and hanging out with friends.