Guys’ Opinion On: Fashion Trends – Part Two

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Georgetown chapter.

So I’m back with another installment of Guys Opinion On, and at this point I’ve realized that almost everything that we girls wear, boys really do have an opinion. Something that I may feel great in, the guys don’t love, but that’s okay! We’re all entitled to our own opinions. (even though I feel like some of my interviewees don’t agree with this statement, and are shaking their heads if they’re reading this…) So sit back and enjoy, and for a few of these boys, especially “The Twins” I feel like a reality show could be in their future.

The Boys:

Austin and Will: The Crew Twins/Winklevi (Social Network reference) aka Bronzed, Jacked, Intelligent, Passionate, Well-Endowed and Great Stamina. (On and Off the Water) (the list could go on and on… in their minds) Also, feel free to hit them up. But seriously.

Bobby: Vineyard Vines Personified or as he says Frat Star Personified
Ryan/KC: The Honest Ones
Liuben: The Wild Card 

[pagebreak]

Courtesy of glamour.com

Colorblocking
I love colorblocking. Plain and simple. Nude sweaters with one bright color are a great look in my opinion. Madewell has a great new colorblocked dress, so if you have time to pop down to Wisconsin check it out!

Liuben: I honestly can’t say I’ve seen many girls do that, but if I could describe it I would say “color, color, color.” (starts waving his hands in the air)

AW (Austin and Will Combined): Red, green, blue, yellow (show them the picture on the left)
A: No me gusta.
AW: Can we get real world examples? (Show them the pic on the right)
AW: We like subtle colorblocking, or well designed.
W: You have to have taste, that’s my thing.
AW: Colored pants in colorblocking is good. Light green colored pants is a good thing, and looks good on girls.
W: But it has to be in the right season.

Ryan: Collar blocking?
Ryan: It’s colors.
K.C: Yeah, it’s colors.
K.C.: Aren’t we colorblocking right now? (They have pastel shorts on and white shirts)
K.C.: It’s frat.

Bobby: What the f*** is colorblocking? (After seeing a picture) It’s good stuff as long as the colors are bright. 

[pagebreak]

Courtesy of glamour.com

Peplum
The picture above is a bit extreme, but I’ve seen this style at J.Crew and Zara. It may seem a bit hard to pull off – I can’t do it – but with the right outfit it can work!

Liuben: Oh no. Hell no. Especially if they’re wearing pants. If they’re not wearing pants we’re in business.
Me: Wouldn’t that be really inappropriate?
Liuben: Yeah it’s inappropriate, that’s the point. It’s like a cheerleader skirt.

A: Can you get a closer image, god****** (He’s the feistier twin)
W: Blah. 
AW: It’s like why are you wearing that. Girls would never wear that. Only models wear this.  Also, we agree with Liuben. But they could do tight shorts too. Or nothing…

Ryan: I like the one all the way on the left. Not the other two. They’re trying to do too much. I like it simple.

KC: I think it’s ugly. Not my type.

Bobby: It looks like a frickin’ ballerina’s tutu. Get that out of here.

[pagebreak]

Courtesy of glamour.com

Anoraks
The real term isn’t that well known, but an anorak is a sporty jacket. Think of it as a fashionable windbreaker. You can find them basically anywhere, especially Zara, Forever 21, etc.! If they’re worn with a cute dress or some boyfriend jeans I definitely approve.

Liuben: I’m really confused as to what they are. Is it a jacket or a whole outfit? (We analyzed photos of anoraks for a few minutes.) I like the middle one, but the others look like rompers. I don’t like that s**t.

W: What the f?
A: No.
Me: It’s just the jacket.
W: Why are they wearing it with fluffy shorts?
A: It would look all right with jeans and a regular shirt.
AW: It sounds like anorexia. Girls, they’re promoting a bad image.
A:  I said that first.
W. No I did. Well, I invented Facebook first.
A: Dibs.
W: Di-! F***… hit me up at 214 808 9619
M: This interview is going off topic…
AW: In this case, the picture makes this look absurd. But if it’s just the jacket with regular clothes its good. Final verdict.

Bobby: It’s just borderline hipster. I’m not feeling it.

Ryan: If you can pull it off, sure. Just don’t wear it with shorts. Maybe something longer? 

[pagebreak]

Courtesy of forever21.com                          Courtesy of madewell.com

Crochet

Liuben: Yeah, not bad. (Once again he makes an inappropriate comment about removing a slip underneath a crocheted dress) Also I like the model. If I don’t have much to say I’m satisfied.

W: I think you mean croquet.
Me: I don’t mean that
A: Dibs on the girl.
AW: I like that. It looks solid. It’s a knit, crossing pattern stuff.
W: You have these little hoops and you hit the ball through them and if you win you get the girl in her crochet.
A: This is the first that I actually agree with.
W: The other ones could look okay.
A: Agreed. They could be executed well.
A: Send me pictures; they could let me know what they’re wearing.
W: They don’t have your number!! DIBS
A: I already said dibs… My number is 610 888 0041

K.C.: Not appropriate.  

Bobby:  Like see through? What do you wear underneath it?
Me: A tank top or slip.
Bobby: It could be good with a lot of things. I like it.

Ryan: I don’t like it. It looks like they took material and cut holes in it. Which means it’s half the original value, so don’t pay full price.
Me: I have a crocheted top on now…
Ryan: I don’t like it. Sorry.
Me: So if this were solid would it be good?
Ryan: No, crochet is never good.

[pagebreak]

Courtesy of forever21.com

High-Low Dress
Try a dress like this with a jean shirt on top and cute wedges. I like the dress above, especially since the front and back sections seem balanced.

Liuben: Da f***? I mean it’s basically the same thing as a dress to me. It’s not special; I don’t know what makes it different. It’s not practical, and you might trip. (All HerCampus readers, Liuben wants you to be safe so he thinks you should avoid high low dresses!) His final message: avoid at all costs, wear at your own risk.”

KC: I f*** with that. (which means he likes that)

Bobby: It looks like a nightgown. Or when guys wear coats with tails. What’s going on there? Final verdict: Nay.

W: Oh yeah. 
A: What’s the point?
W: They forgot to cut off the back part. Did they realize that?
A: They are charging extorbitant amounts of money for that extra three inches.
W: You mean exorbitant?
A: It would be cooler if it wasn’t straight across in the front. If it was rounded in the front I’d like it better.
W: It’s not wasn’t, it’s weren’t.

Ryan: Yeah, it’s cool. It’s different. It’s more summery, so I approve. 

[pagebreak]

Courtesy of sincerelyjules.com

Neon
I love a pop of neon in outfits, and especially in the outfit above. Try a bright pair of shorts with a white top, or an outfit like the one above.

Liuben: Yeah, I like that. I don’t know man; I have a salmon pink shirt. I like salmon pink shirts.
Me: Isn’t salmon different than neon?
Liuben: Same concept Meg, you know I like solid colors. Not too much though, because it’ll look obnoxious. You don’t want a color overload. Wear it with black or grey.

W: Woooo. I like neon.
A: Neon’s good. I like her legs also.
Me: More on neon, not her…
A: Who isn’t down for neon?
W: I just saw this great quote on Facebook. I’ll tell you if you friend me… just kidding. “Don’t have it on unless its neon”
AW: “You turn me on in neon” (they fist bump)
A: Dibs. I said it first
(and the rhyming continues) W: It’s on ‘til the break of dawn when you’re wearing neon…

KC: Where is she wearing this? It’s for Dayglow. Not everyday wear.

Ryan: Are you going clubbing, or walking to class? Make up your mind girls.

Bobby: Hell yeah. Use it beyond Dayglow. 

[pagebreak]

Courtesy of jcrew.com

Jean Vests
I wear jean vests to work with dresses, so I definitely approve of this look.

Liuben: (made some really weird noise) They look like bikers…
Me: I wear jean vests for work all the time…
Liuben: Oh, well I still need to see the outfit. That’s really hard to pull off. I’m not a fan of denim, except in the form of jeans. Guys shouldn’t wear jorts, but actually I do like jean shorts on girls.

Bobby: Hell no. That’s some biker-hipster bull****.

Ryan: Awesome… as a Halloween costume.

A: I haven’t seen the picture yet, but I’m guessing no.
W: Last I checked we’re not in Tennessee. But if it’s a Southern girl from Tennessee I’m sure she’ll pull it off. ;)
(We go to the J.crew site to find vests, and they see blazers and proceed to ask if they’re examples of anarachnids)
M: I’m guessing you guys mean anoraks.
W: No we definitely do not mean that. You are mistaken.
 A: Ehh. Is it hipster?
(Will at this point is too preoccupied with looking up photos of himself to put in the article… he wants it to scream sex appeal. So he’s currently looking at his modeling pics on ralphlauren.com/levi.com, because he’s a mix of both)
W: (after looking at the photo of the girl in jean vest) Arghhh BARF, yeah, if you want to look like a fifty year old.
(We spend five minutes looking at photos of the boys. They start having a heart to heart about siblings…)
W: How old is your sister?
A: 16 or 17…
W: DIBS.
A: NO dibs on my siblings, and Meg don’t write about my siblings.
A: This is typical Will and I. Or is it Will and me?
W: Is is a linking verb which means it’s a predicate nominative.
A: No one speaks like that! You sound stupid.
W: Well, you’re a loser.
(Austin grabs my computer and begins writing my interview for me because I am “not including proper emotion”… I’m typing again)
W: More questions!
M: The interview is over.
W: We’re not finished! I want to say more about girls.
M: It’s not supposed to about girls, it’s supposed to be about fashion.
W: Oh and fashion too. But mainly girls.
Me: We should make a book. (They keep on trying to steal my laptop.. Austin and Will: “Delete that!”)
Me: This is gold.
W: Golden.
A: You’re an asshole.
W: Dibs on all the money we make.
A: We’ll sue you for the intellectual property.
Me: No you won’t.
W: Yes we will, ducks fly together.
M: I don’t get that.
A: It’s from the Mighty Ducks. (The two of them start singing)
W: Singing? You mean quacking. This isn’t a love song.

And to finish off this one segment of the article, which has basically become the Will and Austin article (Will and Austin when hearing this: “yeahhhh”), they have their final fashion tips:
–          W: Wear light green pants.
–          A: mint or citrus. They look good.
–          W: What the f*** is citrus?
–          Meg: It’s like lime green.
–          W: Wear formfitting dresses.
–          A: Yeahhh suns out buns out.
–          M: Inappropriate.
–          W: He was TALKING about bread.
–          M: Do you have a closing line?
–          W: 214 808 9619
–          A: So call me maybe?

Catherine Murphy is a junior at Georgetown University.  She is majoring in Marketing in Georgetown's McDonough School of Business.  She is also planning on completing minors in English and Sociology.