Guys Opinion On: Fashion Trends

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Georgetown chapter.

Lots of us girls know that fashion and what we wear is influenced by trends. These trends come and go, some cute and some we hope to forget, but pictures keep these outfits alive. I can tell you that I’ve worn an outfit inspired by something in one of my favorite magazines, only to see it completely shut down by my brother. Coming to college I’ve noticed that girls tend to get more dressed up, and I see many current trends being worn across campus. In the case of Georgetown boys, I wondered what they thought of certain trends that girls have been wearing, and asked them to share. . .

The Boys:      

Matt: The Down-to-Earth Georgetown Version of Lucas Scott
Arik: The Canadian
Drew: The Epitome of Swag
Bobby: Vineyard Vines Personified or as he says Frat Star Personified
Brian: Fashion “Expert” (worked at J.Crew) and Resident Psychologist
Liuben: The Wild Card

[pagebreak] 

Fur Vests
To me these are super cute if done subtly, but even I have to agree that these vests can easily veer from a Fashion Do to a Fashion Don’t.

Matt: “If it’s some huge, ridiculous bear thing than yeah, there’s a problem…”

Drew: “I think of European fashion, upper class women… and that can be positive or negative.”

Bobby: “Reminds me of foreign students on a smoke break outside of Lau.”

Liuben: “I just don’t think fur vests are very cool, or any kind of fur. I wouldn’t say that they’re flattering, because they make a girl look stuck up. “

Brian: “Just because it’s only a vest and not a whole coat, doesn’t make it any ethically better. Even if a lot of them are fake, the idea of fur is gross. Guys are sensitive, and I wouldn’t want someone ripping the fur off of me.”

Arik: “People who wear these clearly can’t decide how cold it is outside. Do they need a jacket or not? Last time I checked, arms aren’t oblivious to cold.”

[pagebreak]
Big Scarves
I absolutely love big scarves, and will swear by them even if boys don’t agree. They’re warm and cute, the perfect combination for girls who want to look fashionable in the winter.

Drew: “I like scarves on girls. Very trendy”

Bobby: “Girls trying cover up evidence from a fun weekend, but from a fashion standpoint they complete an outfit.”

Liuben: “If we’re saying really big scarves then you’ll look funny, but a “typical” big scarf would be cute.”

Brian: “Some men are attracted to the whole animal fetish and a large scarf reminds me of the mane of a lioness, which gives a girl a fierce and powerful presence.”

Arik: “I think it looks like people are trying to hide their necks. If it’s not cold outside, don’t bother. I’m from Canada, I know.”

[pagebreak]
Blouses with Bows
Personally not my style, but when they’re worn correctly I love them.

Drew: “I have no idea what you’re talking about.”

Matt: “I don’t know if I’ve seen one of those, but honestly.”

Bobby: “It looks like something out of the 18th century, not on a college campus. Not a big fan.”

Liuben: “What?…”

Brian: “The bow conveys that women are ‘tied up’ and this makes them look repressed and conservative, but it tempts the male psyche to untie the bow… and I mean this in a completely intellectual way.”

Arik: “It looks like a 19th century schoolteacher. If Nicole Scherzinger can’t pull off this look then no one can.”

[pagebreak]
Colored Jeans
I love colored jeans. Nothing too crazy, but check out J. Crew’s toothpick colored jeans in neon persimmon and you’ll know what I mean.

Drew: “Very different, they pop and they exude swag more often than not.”

Matt: “I would think the girl is very confident. It’s a fresh look… fresh to death actually.”

Bobby: “Great s**t, just great s**t. It reminds me of springtime and smiles.”

Liuben: “It has the potential to be too hipster and too bright. Some colors are meant to stay inside of the crayon box.”

Brian: “Colored jeans are like mood rings. You put on a red pair; you’re happy and exude fiery energy. Lackluster colors mean you’re upset and not too happy with your day. Something as simple as the color of your jeans can influence people’s perception about you.”

Arik: “As an owner of colored shorts, I can say I approve. People who are against colored pants, just wish they could pull off the look.

[pagebreak]
Pajamas as Tops (not as popular, but it’s a thing, ask J. Crew)
I agree with these boys through and through.

Drew: “What? They’re made to be pajamas for a reason.”

Matt: “Just no. I’ve never seen it or heard of it.”

Bobby: “Keep that inside of the dorm room, and out of public view. It would look like you woke up five minutes before a 9:00 class. Not classy.”

Liuben: “Just no. It looks like a girl is embarking on the Walk of Shame.”

Brian: “Promiscuously attractive, but professionally repugnant.”

Arik: “I’ve legitimately never seen it before in my life.”

[pagebreak]
Polka Dots
If done subtly, I love this look. Think a knotted up, red polka dot shirt, white jeans, gold hoops and nude espadrille wedges in the summer…

Drew: “I think of a little girl wearing a polka dot dress… so not my style.”

Matt: “Um, I agree with Drew.”

Bobby:  “If you’re going for a youthful look then yes, but if you want to look older it’s not gonna fly.”

Liuben: “Polka dots? I can’t really remember the last time I saw a girl wearing polka dots, but I wouldn’t have a problem with it if a girl wasn’t wearing them excessively.”

Brian: “I hate polka dots. No psychoanalytical stuff needed there.”

Arik: “I’d like it on bikinis, but not much else.”

[pagebreak]
Leather
Leather = Love. Simple as that.

Drew:“Sexy.”

Matt:  “Swag.”

Bobby: “The only place leather belongs is on your feet and calves (he means shoes, girls)…”

Liuben: “That would be ‘attractive’ (I had to edit out his original comment, that’s why he’s the Wild Card!), and very foxy.”

Brian: “While the scarf can make even the most timid women seem fierce, leather can not mask the personality of any woman.  A woman needs to have confidence and style to pull this look off. It is extremely attractive on the right girl.”

Arik: “On guys it’s pretentious, but we’re not talking about guys… actually I’m not big on it at all.”

[pagebreak]
Red Lips
If you can pull it off, go for it.

Drew: “Sassy yet classy, definitely good.”

Matt: “I’m not a big fan, because a girl looks like she’s trying too hard.”

Bobby: “Good as long as they’re not too red, and the girl is not too pale.”

Liuben: “Bright red is way too out there, but a subtle red lip is sexy.”

Brian: “Hate them. Red lips aren’t fooling any guy; because it’s obvious you just took way too much time, and put way too much lipstick on. Guys don’t want that anywhere on them.”

Arik: “If you can get away without it, then go for it. If you feel you need it, try not to go too bright, you might look like a clown.”

Thank you to our Georgetown University Boys Style Council!
To all the girls reading this, if Pluralism in Action freshman year taught you anything, it should be we all have the right to our own opinions and the ability to agree to disagree. So if you don’t agree with these boys, keep on rocking whatever look you want!

Catherine Murphy is a junior at Georgetown University.  She is majoring in Marketing in Georgetown's McDonough School of Business.  She is also planning on completing minors in English and Sociology.