This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.

No one wants to be alone. It’s in our genes to survive in this world, but the idea is to not to do it by yourself. When I look at peers my age, their main interest is to find a significant other to fulfill that empty space in their heart with love from another human being.

I get it, no one wants be alone.

However, in my nineteen years of life, I’ve only been in one serious relationship. Yes, I have casually dated other people from time to time, but it never got anywhere beyond that. I thought something was wrong with me – maybe I was too prideful, too mature, and too determined for others my age. I couldn’t understand why I felt so empty and alone.

Fast-forward four years, as I look back on all the “situationships” and that one relationship, I realized one thing: I never learned how to love me.

What I mean by that was not just realizing that I am a beautiful girl with attractive traits beyond my years, but it was understanding my worth and how important that is to my own future. I have ambition, dreams and qualities like no one else. I know what I want out of life and how I must get there. The only thing was that I refused to be with someone else who could not amount or did not want to amount to the same things as me, and I was not going to settle for less.

So, I begin to date myself.

On my emotional journey I explored what characteristics drew me in I emotionally explored what made me happy and what things I didn’t find satisfying in myself and in another person.  I hated the fact that I was so prideful. It was if I held my true feelings in when really they should have been heard. My insecurities dragged me down because I felt as if I wasn’t pretty enough or good enough for anyone. And my arrogance was too extreme. I had to realize that not everyone was as open-minded as I was raised to be.

I must admit, it was an eye-opening experience, but I realized that it was because I did not love me as hard I should have. I’ve always been a very considerate person and often did more for others than I did for myself. I often cared more about everyone else than I did my own self, and that’s not how it should be. It’s okay to be selfless and not selfish, but there is a thin between letting people wreck you with their problems than you dealing with your own.

As I sit here today trying to figure out what makes me genuinely happy, I see that it’s the motivation to better myself.

I find comfort in achieving my goals. I catch a high knowing that I am making the people in my life proud as I embark on my self-journey. No other human being can make me feel the way that I do now, and eventually I will find someone who may make me feel the same way but it technically isn’t the same.

I am content with lonely. I am happy with the person I am becoming. Learning to love me first has been the biggest accomplishment I have achieved yet. I’m figuring out new things every day that I never knew existed.

Until that person comes in my life who I believe will fill that empty hole in my heart, I will continue to love myself first and accept the person I am becoming.

Bri Hayes

George Mason University '20

Brianna "Bri" Hayes is a Community Health, pre-nursing student from Richmond, Virginia studying at George Mason University with a strong passion for editorial and journalistic writing. Brianna spent her whole high school career studying communications and media relations under a broad spectrum, including experience in journalism, public relations and marketing, videography, film and production, graphic design, and photography. At Mason, she’s the president of the National Pan-Hellenic Council and a member of various organizations including the Omicron Iota Chapter of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc., Patriot Activities Council, the Akoma Circle Mentoring Group, and Student Involvement. In her spare time, Brianna likes to read and explore new places and things. After graduation, she hopes to fulfill a career in nursing and public health.
George Mason Contributor (GMU)

George Mason University '50

Want to get involved, or have a story idea we should write about? Email us! hc.georgemason@hercampus.com