Weekly Moments in the Life of a Student Athlete (as Told by Sex and the City)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.

A typical week as a student athlete is far from boring. In fact it is full of moments whether sad, happy, completely frustrating, or absurdly hilarious. Between the long hours of practices, running, and lifting comes the long nights of studying, hours spent in study hall, and the very few and far between times for celebration and letting go with teammates. No better way to explain the busy week of a student athlete than by channeling the often contradictory but sweet sweet assimilation of the ladies of none other than HBO’s Sex and the City.

Monday morning when you finally get ahold of that one group member who has yet to contribute with the excuse that they had a craaaazy busy weekend after you did 75% of the project yourself while managing 20+ hours of practice and extra workouts a week, 8 study hall hours, and a full course load. 

When N.A.R.Ps (Non-Athletic Regular Person) are constantly on you for never wearing anything but sweatpants or leggings to class, and then you see that someone even went as far to write an article about the “importance of dressing up for class”. 

When you roll up to study hall with the squad after a long day of practice and lifting revealing that you brought a little piece of heaven with you. 

When you have a presentation for class and are finally forced to put on makeup and wear nice clothing, leaving all of your classmates in dismay of what they’ve been missing this whole time. 

The constant debate between teammates in the locker room regarding how many layers are really needed for practicing in the ‘feels like 9 degrees’ weather.

When you mess up on defense in practice and coach asks whose girl it was and if you communicated.  

When it’s finally your day off and coach tells you to make sure to get a good run in. 

When the whole team finally gets out and reminds the whole world, yes in-fact, we are girls. 

When it’s Sunday again and you realize you have to do it all again this week, and the next, and the next…

But then you remember how lucky you are to spend endless hours with your amazing teammates and make your way back into the field house Monday mornings like clockwork. 

*All GIFs belong to giphy.com

Lindsey Tangeman

George Mason University

George Mason Contributor (GMU)

George Mason University '50

Want to get involved, or have a story idea we should write about? Email us! hc.georgemason@hercampus.com